Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New 13 inch MacBook Pro with no installed camera?

Hey There Apple Community-

I just bought a brand new 13 inch MacBook pro mid 2012 model. I have since installed skype. Today, while trying to make a call I noticed that my camera doesn't work. I resarted the computer (and skype), opened facetime and photobooth and no luck. The computer still states there is no camera installed. What's the deal? This thing is 3 days old. Thanks again all!

-Jetblack1492

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 9:11 PM

3 replies

Aug 27, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Jetblack1492

Hi Jetblack1492,

Congratulations on the purchase of your new Macbook Pro. It sounds like you have a hardware issue with the iSight camera, as it is not opening in more than one software application.

Here are a few initial things to try. If the issue persists, I'll include a link to our technical support team to delve into this further.

How to Troubleshoot iSight
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT2090

Built-in iSight cameras
These steps are for iSight cameras that are built into a computer, such as the iMac G5 (iSight) or later, the MacBook, or MacBook Pro.
See if the issue is application-specific.
Try another application (iSight works with applications like iChat, PhotoBooth, and iMovie HD 6) to see if the iSight camera exhibits the same behavior in all applications. If it only happens in one application, try reinstalling that application.
See if the issue is user-specific.
Test your iSight camera in another user account. If the issue only occurs in one user, the issue would be isolated to user settings.
Find out if the computer recognizes the iSight
Check System Profiler (in the Utilities folder, inside the Applications folder). Under the USB header, check to see if the iSight camera is detected.
Reset SMC or PMU

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

If you need additional support for your MacBook Pro contact Apple Support:
MacBook Pro - Contact Support - Apple Support

Regards,

Aug 28, 2015 2:05 AM in response to Klaus1

Hi Klaus1 I came across your piece on trojans etc when trying to solve a problem. My data usage has exploded recently and I cannot identify the problem. I suspect (but really don't know) that i have a virus. My AVG anti software did pick up some infected file sometime ago which i simply deleted (scans now show no infected files) but I guess the problem could be embedded in safari (?). I have done what a novice can do to try and find the problem but with out success. Also, more Mac knowledgeable people I know don't seem to know where to start either. A ridiculously open question but do you have any ideas what I could do or should i admit defeat and just wipe and start again?

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Brian

Brand New 13 inch MacBook Pro with no installed camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.