Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sudden uneven screen brightness on 21 month old iPhone 5s

After running for 7 1/2 miles in one hour with my iPhone as I have done hundreds of times I could not get the Runkeeper app to stop the activity. I pressed the stop button over and over but it did not respond for about two minutes, finally it registered. Once I got back inside, I could see that the screen brightness was different at the bottom (where the activity stop button is).

The screen is brighter at the top and starting near the top left proceeding to near the bottom right in a jagged downward slope the screen is less bright (gray as opposed to white). I no longer seem to have any issue with the sensitivity of the touch screen.

I quit all apps and powered down the phone, but that did not change anything. I tried adjusting the screen brightness all the way up and then down but the pattern remained.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 7:50 PM

1 reply

Aug 27, 2015 12:00 PM in response to DJMusk

Hello DJMusk,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you are seeing a difference in brightness on the screen on your iPhone 5s. To help troubleshoot this issue I suggest going through the steps outlined below.

If your screen is too dim, too bright, or you see only faint images

1. Try to adjust the brightness. If the screen doesn’t respond when you adjust the brightness, open several apps to make sure it’s not an issue with only one app.
  2. If you have a screen protector, try removing it. Try removing your case if it includes a screen protector.
  3. If you see the issue in multiple apps, restart your device.
  4. If restarting doesn’t fix the issue, restore your device.
  5. If you still see the issue after you restore, contact Apple Support.

Get help with the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Take care.

sudden uneven screen brightness on 21 month old iPhone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.