Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto duplicates issue

Hey guys I have been using iPhoto to transfer photos and videos from my iPod and iPhone to my MacBook Pro. To preserve memory what I have been doing is importing pics/vids using iPhoto and then drag and dropping them into folders I have created on my desktop to keep organized. I then transfer these folders to my external hard drive and delete them from my MacBook to save memory. Recently I noticed my memory is getting lower and videos and images are still viewable in my iPhoto recent imports tab. I would like to know if there a way to prevent iPhoto from keeping duplicates in its folder after I drag and drop the files to my desktop folder? Can I scan my hard drive and easily find and delete duplicates using finder? And lastly, if I were to use the photos program instead of iPhoto would I run into this problem again? Thanks in advance for the info!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 6:53 PM

3 replies

Aug 26, 2015 11:26 AM in response to Sunny813

In order to remove movie files from a library they must be deleted like any file from a library:

Deleting Photos from an iPhoto Library

1 - from an Event or the Photos mode: select the photo(s) and use the Delete key to move the photos to the trash bin. Then empty the iPhoto Trash bin as follows:

User uploaded file

2 - from an album, smart album, book, slideshow, card, or anywhere in the library use the key combination of Option+Command+Delete to move the selected photos to the iPhoto Trash bin. Empty the iPhoto Trash bin as above or with the key combination of Shift+Command+Delete. You will see get this message to either continue or not.

User uploaded file

3 - go to the Trash bin in the Dock and empty it. This remove the file from the hard drive. Photos and movie files are moved from the library to the Trash bin in the Dock as a way to let the user change their mind in case of accidental deletion from the library.

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with

only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from an Event deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

User uploaded file

Aug 26, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Old Toad

If I dragged and dropped a video previously from iPhoto to my desktop, will deleting and emptying the file from iPhoto and trash bin delete both the iPhoto copy and the desktop copy of the file? I would test it out but apparently I have imported 20,000 files and it will not let me import anymore through the iPhoto program itself. Thanks

iPhoto duplicates issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.