Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot open magic trackpad to replace batteries. help!

I run a Mac mini as a headless server, so I rarely use the trackpad or keyboard. I needed it today because the system wasn't accessible by Remote Desktop , but the trackpad was dead. the cover for the batter compartment would not budge! I've tried pennies, nickels, a variett of standard screw driver bits. I've tried heating on end with a lighter, freezing it, it will not open!

it's in the warranty period but I've torn up the cover end enough that I doubt warranty would be honored. Any ideas? Or should I toss it, buy a new one, and remember to remove the batteries after each use?

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 1:15 AM

You could try taking it back, if only because you need to remove the cover in order to get at the battery. Seems to me the battery has leaked and/or bulged and hence the difficulty. Is it the same battery as the device was supplied with? Otherwise I guess it's bite the bullet time.

2 replies

Aug 26, 2015 11:42 AM in response to seventy one

It does not come with batteries , so no, I supplied my own batteries. I can not longer return it after drilling holes in the battery area In order to put baking soda/water solution in to dissolve the corrosion.

Oh well, I've ordered a replacement and I will just have to be careful to insert and remove batteries whenever I need the trackpad. i'm using a logitech k811 keyboard with it which has built-in rechargeable batteries, so I don't have to worry about having a corrosion problem with the keyboard.

Cannot open magic trackpad to replace batteries. help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.