Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BUILT IN CAMERA

good day sir/madam

I have my macbook pro 13 inch retina display the previous OS X Lion i upgrade the OS X Yosemite the problem is the built in camera is not working when im using facetime could you please help?

thanks

*****@icloud.com

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), built in camera not working

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 9:34 PM

11 replies

Aug 27, 2015 12:53 AM in response to Eric Root

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR SWIFT REPLY, BUT IM SORRY THAT I TRIED ALL THIS THING RESETTING BUT NO GOOD RESULT STILL NOT WORKING IN FACETIME, PHOTO BOOTH, IPHOTO OR ALL COMPONENTS WHICH IS USED BY CAMERA IS NOT WORKING , SHOWING CAMERA NOT CONNECTED , FOR THE iSIGHT I DONT HAVE IN MY UTILITIES I WILL GIVE YOU MY LAPTOP DETAILS FOR YOU TO EASY TO FIND A SOLUTION :

AS FOLLOWS:

OS X Yosemite

version 10.10.5

Macbook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)

Processor 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5

Memory 8 gb 1600 MHZ DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

Serial Number C02JL57ADR53

PLEASE HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKS A LOT

NILO BUALOY

Aug 27, 2015 9:51 AM in response to nilobualoy

(1) Turn your caps lock off! (All caps is hard to read, and it is considered the equivalent shouting on these boards.)

(2) One of these will fix your camera problem:

(a) If restarting your Mac doesn't fix the problem,

(b) use Apple's http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090.

(BTW - The Troubleshooting article calls the camera an "iSight". However, after the article was published, Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

Be sure to test more than one Apple app (Photo Booth, FaceTime, iMovie, QuickTime Player, etc.) in more than one user account. Do NOT use the "Guest" account for this test. If you do not have more than one user account for the testing, create a new one now. If you need help, how to do it is explained in http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201754.

A "Standard" user account is all you need for testing. Don't bother testing third-party apps until you have your camera working with Apple apps.

(c) If your cam won't work properly even with Apple apps, use OS X Recovery to completely reinstall your Mac OS.

(d) If none of the above suggestions resolve your trouble, contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider to have your Mac professionally serviced. Be sure to backup your Mac before tendering it for service.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.5

Aug 28, 2015 1:41 AM in response to EZ Jim

Dear sir,

Thanks a lot for your swift reply i try everything to test in Photo Booth, FaceTime, iMovie, Quicktime Player, etc. but the result is not sucessfull, i also try in Apple Diagnostics test result is “no trouble foud” also i try on “safe mode” it’s work perfectly everything is working in good condition except the the “Built-In Camera” is not functioning. I tried also booting or log in to other account but still “Built-In Camera” is not working or functioning. When i bought this macbook pro the OS X Mountain Lion and i UPGRADE to OS X Mavericks this 2 OS X is working properly during i UPGRADE to OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 the camera is not working anymore that is why im asking to apple support but until now there is no reply from them. I hope you can give me some help to fix the problem thanks n god bless

nilo bualoy

Aug 28, 2015 9:28 AM in response to nilobualoy

You're welcome, nilo!

You have been most thorough, both in your troubleshooting actions and in reporting them in your response to my post.

When you did the troubleshooting in step (b) above, did System Profiler (called "System Information" in OS X Yosemite) find your camera?

    User uploaded file

If you cannot find your camera (whether "iSight", "FaceTime", "FaceTime HD", etc.) in System Information's USB Device Tree, you most likely have a hardware problem. Note that it is possible that you have hardware trouble although System Information can find the camera and/or although Apple Hardware Test does not find a hardware fault.

Users like you and I can correct software problems. However, there are no user serviceable parts of the camera or its related hardware. Therefore, if your trouble is caused by a hardware problem, the best fix is to contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service.

If nothing else you can do on your own corrects the problem, Apple service professionals will be your best solution. They have access to all necessary diagnostic software, special test equipment, technical data, and parts needed to find and fix the source of your trouble as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Mac OSX 10.10.5

Aug 28, 2015 4:22 PM in response to EZ Jim

good day

regarding your querry about test b i dont have external camera that’s why cannot be seen is system information in usb mode because my camera is built in camera in my macbook pro retina display and during may hardware test diagnostic its show no problem found, so i think in the software my macbook pro 13 inch retina display late 2012.

thank u god bless

Aug 28, 2015 4:27 PM in response to nilobualoy

Hey!

To fix your problem you can try out this:

Step 1

Quit all applications running in the background.

Step 2

Open up Terminal which you can find in /Application/Utilities

Step 3

Enter the following command into Terminal "sudo killall VDCAssistant" without the quotes, then hit the Enter key.

Step 4

Then enter in the command "sudo killall AppleCameraAssistant" still with no quotes then hit enter.

You will be prompted to enter the Administrator's password, be sure you have full access to the Mac.

You are done! Reboot your Macbook and share your results! If that does not help I would recommend reseting your SMC by clicking here.

Good Luck,

~ Swing Suit

Just a F.Y.I, another exact duplicate of this post was made just 17 minutes ago.

Aug 29, 2015 7:36 AM in response to nilobualoy

Thanks for your nice response.

nilobualoy wrote: ... i dont have external camera that’s why cannot be seen is system information ...

You are wrong about this "why".

The USB Device Tree will ALWAYS show EVERY USB cam, either external or internal, that your Mac recognizes.

If System Information cannot see your camera, your Mac cannot use it. Contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service.

nilobualoy wrote: ... hardware test diagnostic ... show no problem found...

Apple Hardware Test (AHT) is one way of finding some problems. It cannot, and does not, find every problem with Mac hardware.

Through the years, I have had several hardware failures on the eleven Macs that I have owned. AHT found only one of those problems.

In general, if AHT reports the problem, you can be sure that item needs service. However, an AHT report of "No problem found" does NOT mean that an Apple Service Technician can not find the problem with his more advanced special diagnostics.

If nothing else you try fixes your trouble, backup your Mac and then have it checked by an Apple-authorized service provider.

Mac OSX 10.10.5

BUILT IN CAMERA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.