Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I enter data on one sheet, and have it auto-populate into another?

Hi,

I'm working on a Numbers document with 13 separate sheets — one for each month of the year, and a final sheet as a "year in review" type of thing. Each sheet has multiple tables — but the only thing I'm concerned about is a single column, in a single table. I would like to take this one column, from each month, and put it into the final sheet of the document to create one, grand table that shows progress over all of the months.

I have no idea how to do this. Working with formulas in Numbers is pretty complex for me to understand, so I would really appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions and might be able to help guide me through it. I've constructed a little table here to show you what I'm trying to do...

SHEET1SHEET2SHEET3SHEET4SHEET5...Etc.SHEET12SHEET13(YEAR-IN-REVIEW)
CategoryResults
Sales87
Calls91
Time12
Score97
CategoryResults
Sales78
Calls82
Time21
Score38
And so on...And so forth...Every month.........Until the end of the year...
CategoryMonth1Month2...Etc.AVERAGE
Sales8778...126
Calls

Time1221...22.5
Score9738...116

Notice how, in the table above, "Sales" for "SHEET1" matches "Sales" for "Month1" in "SHEET13(YEAR-IN-REVIEW)?" The same goes for each category, every month. I want to create one, grand table in the final sheet for the year that auto-populates based on what is entered every month. I then want to have an average of all those months.

So, in other words... When Jim enters his numbers every months on Sheets1-12, his annual performance on Sheet13 is already filled in with the info he's typed in for each month.

Can anyone help me do this? Thanks.

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 6:29 PM

12 replies

Aug 25, 2015 9:38 PM in response to ziggyonice

Hi ziggyonice,

It is much harder to consolidate data from 12 different sheets than it is to extract data from a single data entry table to different report tables.

So in your situation I would start with the single table where everything gets logged and have a report table that gathers each month as you envision your sheet 13. Drawing from a single table will open up many possibilities for examining your data. With your monthly tables it could be a mini battle each time you think of the next piece you would like to see.

Does this seem like a change you would be willing to make?

quinn

Aug 26, 2015 12:04 AM in response to ziggyonice

HI Ziggy,

Here's an example, based on your data for Month 1. I've named the tables Month 1, Month 2, etc., but it should work just as well with the tables named January, February, etc., provided that the Table names match the labels for columns B through M of the Summary table.

10 months 'data' was entered in the monthly tables. All data numbers are the same as Month 1 on your sample, except for the "calls" row, where data was varied to check the Average function in the final column of Summary. As written, a null string is placed in each cell of Summary corresponding to an unfilled cell in the monthly tables. A null string is a text string of zero length, and, as a text value, is ignored by AVERAGE.

User uploaded file

Monthly tables contain only entered values.

Summary contains two formulas:

B2, and filled down to B5 and right to column M: =IF(LEN(INDIRECT(B$1&"::B"&ROW()))>0,INDIRECT(B$1&"::B"&ROW()),"")

Both INDIRECT statements are the same. The first is used by IF to test for an entry in the target cell by measuring its LENgth. If the LENgth is greater than zero characters, then the entry is copied into the cell containing the formula. Otherwise (ie. if there's no entry), a null string ( "" ) is placed in the cell containing the formula.

The arguments for INDIRECT determine the address of the cell from which INDIRECT is to get the value. B$1 returns the Table name from cell B1. &"…" adds the text between the quotation marks. &ROW() adds the number of the row containing the formula. For the instance of the formula in Summary::B2, the constructed cell address is "Month 1::B2". and the value in that cell is returned to Summary::B2.

N2, and filled down to N5: =AVERAGE(B2:M2)

This calculates the Average (mean) of the values in columns B to M of the row containing the formula. 'Empty" cells (which actually contain a null string) are ignored.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 26, 2015 8:18 AM in response to t quinn

I tend to agree with quinn. It's generally *much* easier and more efficient to do data entry in one table, and extract reports from that, than it is to enter data in multiple tables (particularly if they're all on different sheets, which is going to result in particularly long, confusing formulas) and then consolidate the data from these tables.

If you have a look at the templates provided with Numbers 3 (File > New in your menu) you'll note good examples (the 'Personal Budget' is one) of the easier, but very powerful, approach.

Applying that approach here, something like this can be done (to save space, I've gone through March, but it's easily extended through December):

User uploaded file

No formulas in the data table. Just one formula in the months columns of the Summary table, cell B2, copied right to column D and down:

=SUMIFS(Data::$C,Data::$B,$A2,Data::$A,B$1)

The formula to calculate average, in E2 copied down the column:

=AVERAGE(B2:D2)

This formula will become =AVERAGE(B2:M2) after adding columns for the remaining months.

With this kind of a setup it's also easy to add to the analysis: highest, lowest, variance from target, etc.

SG

Aug 26, 2015 8:15 AM in response to Barry

Barry,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. If these discussion boards had a "donate" button, I'd probably give you at least a few bucks for the effort you went though. I do have another question, however —

How does the formula change when each "Month" has its table on a separate sheet? I know that Numbers enables you to reference other sheets from within a document. I've constructed this document so that each month has its own dedicated sheet (Sheet1=Jan, Sheet2=Feb, etc.), and then the "annual overview" table is also on its own sheet (Sheet13=Entire Year).

If I want to have the annual sheet auto-populate based on the values from entered each month, how does that change the equation, as the tables are each on their own separate sheets?

Thanks again.

Aug 26, 2015 8:32 AM in response to SGIII

Hey SG,

Thanks for your suggestions. I can certainly understand that it is easier to have all the monthly data in a single table. As it turns out, I'm probably going to have some difficulty convincing my employer to implement that layout. As a result, I would almost say it may be easier to simply leave the last sheet ("annual review") blank, and just have individuals copy and paste the data into that last table to get an overview of the year in one place.

It's not quite as elegant, but if having it auto-populate based on the data in other sheets isn't doable, I suppose I don't have much of a choice.

Thanks for your feedback.

Aug 26, 2015 8:54 AM in response to ziggyonice

Having a summary table auto-populate based on data in other tables is doable, as Barry has demonstrated, but it's a bit messy and complicated.

Curious why your employer might be opposed to collecting data in a best-practices standard "database" columns format that's been in use for decades!

(If it's because you need nice-looking monthly reports as you go along, then those are easily extracted from the data table and can look virtually indistinguishable from your original individual data entry tables).

The principle of separating data entry from summary calculations, where possible, is also best practices.

As a practical matter, going with what the boss wants, and then, when it comes time to pull together summaries, just copy-pasting the values into one data table, adding a column for the month number, and having the summary table auto-populate from that should work well.

SG

Aug 26, 2015 9:41 AM in response to ziggyonice

Hi ziggyonice,

Best practices are just that. Nothing is ever prefect. I had an overly complicated spread sheet that served me for years until I finally got fed up and streamlined it this year. I remind myself that there are three ways so to anything- the right way, the wrong way and the way we do it.

Barry's solution for you is really not that complex I think it will serve you here. At its heart it is a very simple formula that is filled thoughout your table.

User uploaded file

I have stripped away the IF/LEN error trapping to make it easier to understand. That will throw off your average because a blank cell won't be averaged while a "0" will be.

His formula says create an address using B1 as the table name, "B" as the column and the row that the function is in for the row. So in B2 in the summary table this looks for the value in B2 of the table "Month 1". When your tables have unique names we don't have to specify a sheet name.

Hope this makes it look easy.

quinn

Aug 26, 2015 10:58 AM in response to Barry

Thanks again for the very helpful information.

Just one final question: how would I calculate the average of a row across several columns? I'm playing with the formula for averages, but I just can't seem to get it working. I have 12 columns, and am wanting to calculate the average for a row that goes across all of them (12 cells total). Any suggestions here? Thanks.

Aug 26, 2015 12:15 PM in response to ziggyonice

ziggyonice wrote:

Thanks again for the very helpful information.

Just one final question: how would I calculate the average of a row across several columns?

Per my example above, the simplest way is:

=AVERAGE(B2:D2)

Or, more likely since you have more columns,

=AVERAGE(B2:M2)

... where the values you are averaging are in columns B through M.

And, if you use the "database format" approach you can simply use AVERAGEIFS without having to set up the rows to average. Just pull the average right out of the source table.

Here is another consideration to keep in mind when using a complicated function like INDIRECT. It can be very useful in some situations. But it is what is known as a "volatile" function that recalculates every time you do anything, anywhere in your document. You won't notice the difference with small documents, but this volatility can lead to sluggish performance in larger ones. Numbers isn't a speed demon to begin with, so if crisp performance is desired, then generally it's not a bad idea to avoid INDIRECT. In most situations (I would include this one) there are ways to accomplish the same objective with more clarity and speed.... And without having to worry about making sure all those "hard-coded" table names and column headers match up exactly.

SG

Aug 26, 2015 12:18 PM in response to ziggyonice

HI Ziggy,

"Just one final question: how would I calculate the average of a row across several columns?"

See the Summary table in my earlier post. The monthly numbers are pulled into columns B through M. The average is calculated in column N, using this formula:

N2, and filled down to N5: =AVERAGE(B2:M2)

Regards,

Barry

How can I enter data on one sheet, and have it auto-populate into another?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.