Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The remote does not respond to commands. Nothing in the Settings menu solves the problem. Battery? Electronic glitch? Some kind of overload?

The remote may have been damaged by liquid. It made programming choices and initiated "Play" but the progam would stop after a few minutes and the menu would reappear. This happened several times. Then the standard icon page appeared, but the remote was not able to move among the icons or make a selection. I have restarted Apple TV several times. I have rebooted the wi-fi connection and Apple TV. Nothing. The remote seemed to slowly lose its power to command. Can the remote be switched out?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 9:18 PM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2015 8:57 PM in response to fionafromyarraville

I did work it out, thanks to the suggestion that my remote may have become paired with another device. My remote that was failing was in fact defective ( I had spilled something on it and that caused it to slowly malfunction) so I ordered a new remote through the Apple online store (don't ask how I managed this, it was not easy and now I have forgotten the exact steps)., When that remote arrived today I tried it. No success. Each time I hit enter or menu the Apple TV unit would blink three times but do nothing, so I could not access Settings and could not move among the program icons. I checked back with the support community and saw a suggestion that my remote may have become paired, etc. Of course, I thought, in all of my efforts to make the defective remote work, I had tried pairing it with my iPhone (without success); so I did the unpairing sequence (holding menu and left [rewind] buttons at the same time for 6 seconds) and, voila!, the light blinked once and all was right again.

The remote does not respond to commands. Nothing in the Settings menu solves the problem. Battery? Electronic glitch? Some kind of overload?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.