Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I export photos from iMac to flash drive?

how do I export photos from iMac to flash drive?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 10:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 11:13 AM

I myself will always go through a folder on the desktop. But as I had read it so often here in these discussions, I was almost convinced one could not export directly to a flash drive; but it can be done. And considering how large these flash drives nowadays can be...

My son ran into the Mac-formatted vs exFAT formatting issue recently, taking a lot of his stuff along with him on a Mac-formatted USB stick and, wherever he was in Italy, was not able to access the contents, without any Mac.

With 300 pictures I would like to know upfront the combined size, before dropping them any where. I'm quite familiar with 'heavy' files, and some of my multilayered 16-bits PSDs are approx. 1GB.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2015 11:13 AM in response to LarryHN

I myself will always go through a folder on the desktop. But as I had read it so often here in these discussions, I was almost convinced one could not export directly to a flash drive; but it can be done. And considering how large these flash drives nowadays can be...

My son ran into the Mac-formatted vs exFAT formatting issue recently, taking a lot of his stuff along with him on a Mac-formatted USB stick and, wherever he was in Italy, was not able to access the contents, without any Mac.

With 300 pictures I would like to know upfront the combined size, before dropping them any where. I'm quite familiar with 'heavy' files, and some of my multilayered 16-bits PSDs are approx. 1GB.

Aug 26, 2015 1:01 AM in response to rose1107

You can export directly from Photos to your flash drive, even if it is formatted FAT or exFAT. You will need that format if you want to transfer to the "other" platform. Of course, you can export to a flash drive formatted for Mac just as easily.

And how? you ask.

1. Select the picture(s) (e.g., you could first combine them in an album);

2. Pick Export from the Photos File-menu;

3. You have some options there, as to quality, picture size, etc.

There you go.

Aug 26, 2015 10:26 AM in response to lescornwell

Sometimes - FAT formats hold a very limited number of files at the root level so depending on how many files are there and how many you exporting it may or may not work - exporting to a folder and dragging that folder to the flash drive will always work as the folder is treated as a single file - i prefer so;unions that always work to ones that may or ay not and require long extended conversations to extract more information

Try your solution with 300 photos - you will see

LN

Aug 26, 2015 12:04 PM in response to lescornwell

The problem is not with the size of the export but the number of items

FAT formats hold a very limited number of files at the root level

You ceratainly can export directly to a flash drive if you export a proper number of items - but again if you export to a desktop folder and drag that over there is no item count limit so it is IMHO the best solution since it always works rather than sometimes working and sometimes not working

LN

How do I export photos from iMac to flash drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.