Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 4s sound problem ios 8.4.1

Hi

My sound of my iphone 4s stopped working recently after updating to ios 8.4.1. First time was a few days ago and I thought something terrible has happened to the phone itself. But a quick restart gave me sound for another 30minutes. After that nothing further got the speaker working again. It is not on silent mode. When the headphones is plugged in, it works fine, but as soon as I unplug it, then there is no sound on the iphone's speaker. When you adjust the volume there is no volume bars. Same for ringer bars, there aren't any. If you go to settings to adjust the volume, there isn't a scroll-er to adjust the volume. There is no sound, playing music, playing games, receiving messages, keyboard clicks, sleep. The bluetooth is turned of.

I have already read the following and its the same for these people (and much more of older updates on iphone 4s):

iPhone 4s sound won't work

iPhone 4S speaker not working after upgrade to 8.4.1

No Sound on iPhone 4S after iOS 8 Upgrade

The solution to all of this is the following usually given is

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

But in my case this still does not work. I've tried all 10 steps, connected the charger, connected headphone again, connected it to itunes. restarted etc. Still not working. Please help

iPhone 4s (8GB), iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 11:08 PM

7 replies

Aug 28, 2015 10:48 AM in response to GleameXtreme

Hello there, GleameXtreme.

It seems like you've reviewed the Knowledge Base article that provides the steps for resolving issues with no sound from your iOS device. If the issue has persisted, please follow the recommendation after Step 10:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

Follow these steps and test the sound after each one.

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. If your device has a Ring/Silent switch, make sure it's set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
    User uploaded file
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you follow these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact us.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers.

Aug 28, 2015 11:16 AM in response to GleameXtreme

i have sound issue in my iphone 4s ios 8.4.1 today morning after it became little bit wet in rain.

its not because of upgrade. i used many solution given in apple community and finally my iphone sound is back in evening.

conditions-

iphone sound is working fine on speaker during call.

sound is working fine on siri

problem -

sound is not working on apps

sound is not working on music player

sound is not working while locking phone, texting, msg alerts etc.

no ringer/volume label visible while pressing + or - button

Actions done-

Iphone restart after drying the phone using hair dryer - no result

iphone volume setting change - no result

iphone force restart while pressing home & lock button for 10 sec - no resule

issue resolved-

i found this solution on apple community-

keep phone on lock mode

jkeep press + and - button together & dont lose and then press home button also

then slide to unlock

and here we go- sound is back

yeeeppiiiiii

Sep 8, 2015 3:01 PM in response to GleameXtreme

For anyone still having this problem. I have not resolved my issue yet, but it is definitely not a hardware issue due to the speaker sometimes notifying me when a message comes through (not often though). Siri still works perfect, but no music can be played.

I have narrowed it down to the following on my device. When I play a voicenote (and this only works with voicenotes) the iphone gives me the option to chose where the sound must go (when you swipe up for the menu), either iphone speaker or airplay (iphone dock). Its default is the iphone dock. So there is the current problem. I did a factory reset, but nothing at this stage works to resolve the issue. Lets hope the next update resolves this

iphone 4s sound problem ios 8.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.