Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can help a Systemextension?

Hello,

I have troubles to connect a Spectraview 272 to my Pro late13; with the original cable (mini to display port) resolution is 1990x1080 and can not been altered. With a HDMI to HDMI cable the highest resolution is 1080p.

2560 x 1440 is the optimal resolution for the monitor.

Now I tried a SwitchResX Extension, this has a uncountable list of resolutions, including the one I need. Is this a good acquirement or are special considerations commendable? Why can this extension do what the Mac not can do?

Thank you, Karl

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 1:35 AM

7 replies

Aug 26, 2015 1:44 AM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

In theory monitors (and modern TVs) are supposed to send a set of signals called EDID down the video cable telling the connected device - in this case your Mac, what resolutions it is capable of. Personally I find some devices especially TVs are less than accurate about this.

As a first step you could try the following without using SwitchResX.

• Open System Preferences
  • Click on Displays
  • Hold down the Option/Alt key and click on 'Scaled'

This might list some additional resolutions including the one you want.

Otherwise what SwitchResX does is effectively create a setting for the missing resolution and store it in a file on the Macs hard disk so it can be selected and used.

Aug 26, 2015 4:48 AM in response to KarlPfeifferHarbachoed

Are you using Yosemite? Yosemite might give more/better options.

2560x1440 is from a Mac point of view a less common resolution. It would require either using a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable or a Mini Displayport to Dual-Link DVI adapter. Apple may have only considered 1920x1080, or 3840x2160 as 'standard' resolutions and over-looked 2560x1440.

You could also try using this http://displaymenu.milchimgemuesefach.de/

Otherwise SwitchResX or similar as referred to be Illaass is likely your best option.

Aug 27, 2015 10:20 AM in response to lllaass

Sorry, it did not work:

Karls-Mac-Pro:Overrides karlpfeiffer$ sudo curl -O https://gist.github.com/ejdyksen/8302862/raw/patch-edid.rb

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current

Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed

0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 0

Karls-Mac-Pro:Overrides karlpfeiffer$

The file *is in the githubusercontent directory, but does not download.

What to do? ~Karl

What can help a Systemextension?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.