Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adjust columns to fit content

I am an infrequent user of Numbers. I have created a basic table using the template but want the columns to adjust to the contents. But the option to do so is not highlighted and no matter what I do I cannot see how to do this. Can anyone help, please?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 4:02 AM

Hi TownMouse,

This works here in Numbers 3.5.3.

Select the Column(s) or the whole Table.

Format Panel > Table (and drag the Panel up to see Row & Column Size)

User uploaded file

Column > click on Fit

User uploaded file

You might also want to look at Format Panel > Text > Alignment > Wrap text in cell

User uploaded file

Please reply with questions.

Regards,

Ian.

6 replies

Aug 28, 2015 2:02 AM in response to TownMouse33

Hi TownMouse,

Numbers (and most other productivity applications) follows a very simple grammar: Select an object; Apply an action.

Ian once described it with a pair of exclamations: "Hey,you!" "Do this!"

The grammar, or the exclamations provide a framework for almost every change you can make to the contents of a document. Keep them in mind.

Here the object (or 'You') is a column. The action (or 'Do') is 'make it fit the text.'

Regards,

Barry

Aug 28, 2015 2:18 AM in response to TownMouse33

Hi Ian - Thank you for this. Well, I did try that several times but I could never find the 'fit' button highlighted, no matter how hard I tried. It was always greyed out. Just as in the pull-down menu at the top of the screen labelled Table, the 'Resize row to fit content' or 'Resize column to fit content' was never highlighted. Eventually, I did solve the problem - but only manually - by going out of the table to the A, B, C columns above it. Then I found if I grabbed the r/h side of A or B box, say, and moved it, I could indeed extend the column width. It worked for individual columns, as I say, but I still can't change the formula.

Betsy

Aug 28, 2015 9:54 AM in response to TownMouse33

Hi Betsy,

Thanks for your feed back.

Just trying to troubleshoot.

I have created a basic table using the template

Which template?

Does that problem (Resize column to fit content not highlighted) occur in all Numbers documents?

Save your work.

Quit Numbers and other apps.

Restart your machine.

Launch Numbers while you hold down the shift key.

From within Numbers, Menu > File > Open that document (or Open Recent).

Any better?

Regards,

Ian.

Aug 28, 2015 11:02 AM in response to TownMouse33

TownMouse33 wrote:

Eventually, I did solve the problem - but only manually - by going out of the table to the A, B, C columns above it. Then I found if I grabbed the r/h side of A or B box, say, and moved it, I could indeed extend the column width. It worked for individual columns,

Hi Betsy,

You can widen more than one column at once by selecting multiple columns and positioning your cursor between columns (as shown by the arrow here), holding down the "mouse" button, and dragging right:

User uploaded file

Giving this:

User uploaded file

I've noticed that sometimes (but seemingly not always) the 'Fit' is greyed out when a column is hidden. For example, here I've hidden column C and have selected column B.

User uploaded file

You might want to check to see if hidden columns may be causing the problem.

SG

Adjust columns to fit content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.