Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nickname in phone app

I'm using nicknames for my contacts. They are shown in Mail, Messages and so on. Why are the Phone app always display the real name and not the nickname? I think it worked in a previous version of iOS!?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2017 9:43 AM

This problem is still ongoing. I can web why this setting might not be desirable for a select few people, but it needs to be an option (disabled by default) as there is a clear need for this. Everyone has a Mother but rarely refers to her by name. Can someone at please confirm when this basic feature will be added to iOS?

Thanks!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2017 9:43 AM in response to chgal

This problem is still ongoing. I can web why this setting might not be desirable for a select few people, but it needs to be an option (disabled by default) as there is a clear need for this. Everyone has a Mother but rarely refers to her by name. Can someone at please confirm when this basic feature will be added to iOS?

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2015 12:13 PM in response to chgal

Hi chgal,

The resource below will explain how to use the Nickname field in the Phone app. Check to be sure you have "Prefer Nicknames" enabled in the Settings for Mail, Contacts and Calendars.

About Short Names on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202590

About Short Name

By default Short Name is on. The Short Name settings will extend to Mail, Messages, Phone, and some third-party apps. Here is an example of how Short Name appears in Messages:

User uploaded file

To turn this off, tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Short Name.

User uploaded file

About Nicknames

Contacts are listed with First, Last, and Company fields, but you can add a Nickname field. If Prefer Nicknames is on and the contact has a nickname, the nickname entry will appear.

To add a nickname, follow these steps:

1. Tap Contacts and tap the contact you want to view.
  2. Tap Edit.
  3. Scroll down and tap add field > Nickname.
  4. Add a nickname and tap Done.

To remove a nickname, follow these steps:

1. Tap Contacts and tap the contact you want to view.
  2. Tap Edit.
  3. Delete the Nickname field.
  4. Tap Done.

Get help

To learn more about Contacts in iOS, see the user manual.

Cheers,

Sep 21, 2016 9:04 AM in response to judysings

I want to insert my mom's full name in contacts but to display "Mom" as her caller ID.

I thought the Prefer Nickname would change things but as you mentioned, Nickname only shows in iMessage and Mail app. So I talked to Apple Chat Support and apparently that's how it's supposed to be. I don't understand why they'd go half way to show nicknames on some Apple apps but not on other Apple apps.

iOS 10

Nickname in phone app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.