Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bought 2004 isight camera and adapter. Plugged into 2012 mac mini, says I need to install camera to make FaceTime work. Tried unplugging turning lens. Still says I need to install camera. Seems like it is trying to work but something is wrong.

Bought Isight camera and adapter from amazon, hooked it up to my 2012 mac mini. Seems like it is trying to work but something is wrong. FaceTime says I need to install camera. Tried unplugging and turned lens cover back and forth, still doesn't work. Camera feels warm to touch, I have never used a web cam or FaceTime so I am unsure if it's mechanical problem or I'm just don't know what to do.

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 10:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 1:07 AM

Does the camera work in PhotoBooth?

When you open the (rotate) the lens cover does the light on the camera light?

If you open System Profiler

OS X: About System Information and System Profiler - Apple Support

does the camera show under FireWire?

Does the mic in the camera show up in:

- FaceTime>Video>Microphone- System preferences>Sounds>Input?

Not that the The iSight camera may not work with your Mac. It did not work with my 2012 Mini with Mavericks; the mic did not work and the frame rate was like 1 frame every 20 seconds.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2015 1:07 AM in response to peterhumason

Does the camera work in PhotoBooth?

When you open the (rotate) the lens cover does the light on the camera light?

If you open System Profiler

OS X: About System Information and System Profiler - Apple Support

does the camera show under FireWire?

Does the mic in the camera show up in:

- FaceTime>Video>Microphone- System preferences>Sounds>Input?

Not that the The iSight camera may not work with your Mac. It did not work with my 2012 Mini with Mavericks; the mic did not work and the frame rate was like 1 frame every 20 seconds.

Aug 26, 2015 1:34 PM in response to peterhumason

Was it a new our used iSight?

You can

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Warranty is not required. Appointment is free.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

I just tried it on my 2012 Mini with 10.10.4.:

- No mic

- in both FT and Photo Booth I get abut 1 frame/20 seconds.

- Light does light

I am now updating to 10.10.5 and will get back

Aug 26, 2015 4:56 PM in response to lllaass

Hi, just got back from mac store. Salesman was nice enough to hook up and try it. Light came on and after waiting it worked! It took awhile for his mini mac to recognize camera but eventually it worked. Did not try mic only video, his mini is proubably a 2015, mine 2012. My computer seems to be trying to recognize camera but something isn't right. Light does come on momentarily then shuts off.

Bought 2004 isight camera and adapter. Plugged into 2012 mac mini, says I need to install camera to make FaceTime work. Tried unplugging turning lens. Still says I need to install camera. Seems like it is trying to work but something is wrong.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.