Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2007 imac OSX upgrade

I have an imac v.7,1 mid 2007 with 2.4GHz intel core 2 duo processors running snow leopard OS X v. 10.6.8. What is the highest OS X software I can run that will be stable and reliable. Any ideas on how to use this as a display with a mac mini? there is no video out. Thanks

imac, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 11:41 PM

6 replies

Aug 26, 2015 5:01 AM in response to seventy one

I've got as far as Mavericks. Seventy one's comments about the re-purchasing apps. is putting me off upgrading to Yosemite. Plus my Dad bought a new iMac that came with Yosemite to replace his G4 iMac. He thinks Yosemite is terrible if you are coming straight from an older Mac OS like Snow Leopard. There are a lot of changes to absorb. He thinks a lot of the bundled software has been messed around with and doesn't have the same functionality as their earlier incarnations. Plus, even with Mavericks, one no longer gets the opportunity to read what each Software update does? You either have to intall it immediately or break out and run AppStore/Updates to find out what is being downloaded.

With Mavericks I find I can't upgrade my iWorks apps that I bought on a DVD but have to download new versions from the App Store. But that means having to pay for them again. So Mavericks wasn't really a free update as it has turned out.

I think you can safely go as high as Mountain Lion and still have a good OS. Mavericks is okay if you are prepared to replace and pay for iWorks. May be worth it if you like iCoud Keychain for instance.

I'm not sure if I will upgrade to Mavericks or not. I will need to play with my Dad's new iMac a lot more before I can decide.

Aug 28, 2015 5:43 AM in response to cabaney

Cabaney

I have just had cause to reinstall Mavericks. I now find that my iWork and iLife 11 apps are working again.

What I do find however is that these apps cannot be upgraded further (the App Store Update screen shows any updates for them as being 'incompatible'). To take advantage of the latest updates for these apps I will need to repurchase them from the App Store.

Apologies for any confusion.

Mid 2007 imac OSX upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.