Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On initial setup of my Apple ID. I found that my unique email address has been used by someone else. how can this happen?

On initial setup of my Apple ID. I found that my unique email address has been used by someone else. how can this happen?

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 6:10 AM

8 replies

Aug 26, 2015 6:24 AM in response to Utube video producer

How unique is it?

People can make mistakes when entering email addresses. It happens very frequently. If My email address is say j.test@someserver.com and someone lese has j.twest@someserver.com Its very conceivable someone may inadvertently use my email address instead by mistake.

Its also possible you created an Apple ID previously with that E-Mail. Do you have any other Apple devices? Are you using any other Apple services?

Is it possible you already created an Apple ID and don't remember or realize it?

Dec 20, 2015 10:21 PM in response to Utube video producer

I agree that mistakes are made when entering email addresses. However, it seems the mistake being described by the original post is that someone else mistakenly set up an Apple ID using an incorrect email address, which happens to belong to another person. I have had the same thing happen to me recently. I received some emails about setting up an Apple ID recently and those emails were addressed to someone with a different name. I have a longstanding Apple ID, associated with another email address, and did not have an ID set up with the email address I recently got sent the email. I was able to request a password reset email and was successful in logging in to set a new password for this "incorrect" ID. However, I imagine this will cause trouble for the person who accidentally used my email address as their Apple ID. Doesn't Apple verify the email address used in the ID set up process?

Jan 14, 2016 5:29 AM in response to Utube video producer

Hi,

does anyone know, if it is possible to reclaim my email address, if it was used as an apple ID by another person? I was trying to register a new apple ID with my Gmail address, but got an answer that it's been already as an apple ID. When I tried to reset the password, the message appeared, that said "We will send instructions to your email address ending in ". However, I've never had any e-mail addresses with "onet.pl". Also, I clearly remember, that I haven't registered this e-mail address as an apple ID and haven't verified it (even by mistake) for any other person.

Please, let me know, if anyone knows, how I could reclaim my e-mail address.

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.