Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yesterday I erased my T/Mach. but today am unable to get back to the first backup as a test. Can anyone help please?

Two days ago i erased my time machine as it had backups going back at least a year including a computer no longer working and I wanted to streamline it.

Now I am able to enter t/m but can't get to the first complete backup done - select the date but nothing happens.

Can anyone help please?

Airport Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 4:08 AM

5 replies

Aug 26, 2015 4:28 AM in response to ribbo39

Two days ago i erased my time machine as it had backups going back at least a year including a computer no longer working and I wanted to streamline it.

Time Machine is software on your Mac that is used to back up the data on the computer to another hard drive. A Time Capsule is an AirPort Extreme wireless router with a built-in hard drive that is designed to store backups of your Mac(s) made with the Time Machine software.

So, when you say that you erased my time machine, I assume that you meant to say that you erased the Time Capsule hard drive. This would have wiped the drive clean, so at that point, there would be no backups and no data on the drive, as if it was new and had not been used before.

Now I am able to enter t/m but can't get to the first complete backup done

So, the drive is not blank, and you have performed a Time Machine backup.......that probably took at least a few hours depending on how much data that you had on your Mac......is that correct?

If yes, whenever you make the first complete backup of your Mac using Time Machine, it will take the Time Machine application at least a few hours, and sometimes a day or two....if you backed up your Mac using wireless.... to completely index the new backup so that it will be displayed correctly when you enter Time Machine.

Aug 26, 2015 6:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

My apologies - yes it was my time capsule that I erased and the drive was wiped clean.

I then set the t/cap up to start afresh to backup only the full contents of my SSD which is my startup drive.

Currently there is 1.6 TB of 2TB available but whenever I enter time machine all I can see is the dates & times in the right column and when

I attempt to select a time (say yesterday at 06.45) nothing happens.

A full backup was done over night which is connected by way of an ethernet cable.

Just to clarify - my iMac's dvd drive failed and it was replaced with a 480GB SSD and made the start-up drive. Its much faster at loading and is used as the primary disk. The existing 1TB drive is still used in the iMac which has some 505GB of space available where I keep my photos and music.

The t/cap has previously been working well.

Aug 26, 2015 7:07 AM in response to ribbo39

It is likely going to take another day or two before the backup will be totally indexed and available for access when you open Time Machine.

Meanwhile, to verify that the backup has occurred.......

Click the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click Open Time Machine Preferences

User uploaded file

The next window that opens will display information about the amount of data that is available on the Time Capsule drive. Something like xxx TB of xxxx TB available.

What does that message say?

Aug 27, 2015 3:31 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob - to answer your question I had 1.6TB of disk space available.

Update. Today I contacted Apple who, using a long screen-sharing session, tried to identify what the problem is/was. I had numerous back-up sessions listed but not one was I able to select.

Eventually, I was advised to erase the disk and do a fresh complete backup. So far today I have 5 back-ups when entering t/machiine but am

still not able to select any of them. All I get is a current page with several blank pages all behind, none of them showing date-time etc. Also mousing over the right hand column, the dates turn red but cannot select - nothing happens.

Have contacted Apple by email, as promised, and will await their possible suggestions.

Alan

Aug 27, 2015 6:30 AM in response to ribbo39

You mentioned that you had a 480 SSD drive installed on the Mac. Have you checked to make sure that the SSD is not on the list of "Excluded" items in Time Machine Preferences / Options?

If the name of the drive appears in the Excluded items list, then the drive is not being backed up.

We've seen some issues on the forum with SSD drives and Time Machine like this, and in at least a few cases the SSD drive was not being backed up at all. In other cases, the Time Machine simply could not back up the drive correctly, even when it appeared that backups were occurring.

If the SSD is not on the list on Excluded items when you check, then it would be best to wait for more information from Apple.

Yesterday I erased my T/Mach. but today am unable to get back to the first backup as a test. Can anyone help please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.