Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphone Jack cuts out off and on

Out of the blue, I noticed that when listening to music, the audio track cuts out in the right side or makes a scratchy "half there, half not" sound. I thought it was just my headphones, but plugging them into speakers at home produced the same result. I'm worried it might be the headphone jack. I tried blowing into it and a Q-tip was too large for the hole. If it is the jack, is it covered under the 1 year warranty? And: is there any fix for this at home?

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 7:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:54 PM

Hello Rtbrman12,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that audio is sometimes cut out when listening to your headphones, and you will also have this issue when you plug your iPhone into a set of speakers. To help troubleshoot this issue I suggest going through the steps outlined below.

1. Unplug the headset and clear any debris from the headset jack. Then plug it back in.
  2. Make sure the headset is plugged in all the way. If you’re using a case, remove it to make sure it’s not getting in the way.
  3. Check the headset cable, connector, remote, and earbuds for damage. Make sure they’re not blocked or dirty.
  4. Try using another headset. If the issue happens with the other headset, contact Apple Support for help. If the other headset works, contact the headset manufacturer.
  5. Try using a different iOS device with your headset. If the issue happens with the other iOS device, contact the headset manufacturer. For Apple headsets, contact Apple support.

If your headset isn't working - Apple Support

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Rtbrman12

Hello Rtbrman12,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that audio is sometimes cut out when listening to your headphones, and you will also have this issue when you plug your iPhone into a set of speakers. To help troubleshoot this issue I suggest going through the steps outlined below.

1. Unplug the headset and clear any debris from the headset jack. Then plug it back in.
  2. Make sure the headset is plugged in all the way. If you’re using a case, remove it to make sure it’s not getting in the way.
  3. Check the headset cable, connector, remote, and earbuds for damage. Make sure they’re not blocked or dirty.
  4. Try using another headset. If the issue happens with the other headset, contact Apple Support for help. If the other headset works, contact the headset manufacturer.
  5. Try using a different iOS device with your headset. If the issue happens with the other iOS device, contact the headset manufacturer. For Apple headsets, contact Apple support.

If your headset isn't working - Apple Support

Take care.

Headphone Jack cuts out off and on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.