Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Load iTunes library up on two computers at same time

I've looked on Google for the answer to this but struggling to come up with anything.

I have just bought a Mac Mini to act as a media server, I also have MBP. I have my iTunes library and media files on a Time Capsule. I've discovered that I only seem to be able to load this library up on either the Mac Mini or MBP, but not both at the same time. If I want to load it on my MBP I have to quit iTunes on my MM.

An error saying ""The iTunes Library Extras.itdb is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permissions for this file. I've checked in "Get Info" and I seem to have the appropriate permissions set.

Thanks in advance

Rob

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 8:33 AM

The library file can only be opened by one incidence of iTunes at a time. You can share media between multiple libraries which can be opened on different computers but then you have to deal with managing multiple libraries and making sure they are both up to date as regards to media. There isn't any other solution of which I am aware and it has been that way since day one of iTunes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2015 8:33 AM in response to Beaker192

The library file can only be opened by one incidence of iTunes at a time. You can share media between multiple libraries which can be opened on different computers but then you have to deal with managing multiple libraries and making sure they are both up to date as regards to media. There isn't any other solution of which I am aware and it has been that way since day one of iTunes.

Load iTunes library up on two computers at same time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.