Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13inch Hard Drive Noises

I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro 13" using OSX version 10.10.5. with a 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 processor and 4GB memory. Overall, it's been a great machine! However, I notice some clicking noises (almost like if you were dropping a ping pong ball on a table) coming from the right side of the trackpad. I'm assuming that this is my hard drive. Is this noise normal and I just never really noticed it before, or is it a sign that I should start looking at buying a new machine?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 10:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 10:17 AM

That is more than likely the hard drive going bad. This would be a good time to get an external hard drive and backup all of your material. Great drives are available at OWC, http://www.macsales.com

You can also look into replacing the hard drive after backing up rather than a new machine, unless you prefer a new Mac, that is. The 2011 is a great machine.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2015 10:17 AM in response to affolter56

That is more than likely the hard drive going bad. This would be a good time to get an external hard drive and backup all of your material. Great drives are available at OWC, http://www.macsales.com

You can also look into replacing the hard drive after backing up rather than a new machine, unless you prefer a new Mac, that is. The 2011 is a great machine.

Aug 26, 2015 10:31 AM in response to affolter56

A lot of that answer depends on how you use your MacBook Pro. The new machines are not upgrade able so you must figure out how much memory and storage you need before buying. But they have great displays 🙂

If the current machine works really well for you and has the speed you like, then a new hard drive saves you a lot of money. Of course you could upgrade it with more memory and an SSD instead of hard drive and you will not see a lot of difference in speed vs a new machine. The 2011 is a very solid machine.

So it really is what will serve you best, and do you really want a new machine?

I have a 15" MacBook Pro, 2011 and love it. Have extra memory in it and multiple external hard drives for all the software and data I need.

Early 2011 MacBook Pro 13inch Hard Drive Noises

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.