Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used Microsoft Works for OS9 for many years. The database function had a match function which pulled up in one screen all instances fo an xyz search. Is there a way in Numbers (or other spreadsheets) to get all instances of xyz to show on o scre

I used Microsoft Works for OS9 for many years.

The database function had a "match" function which pulled up in one screen all instances for an "xyz character string" search.

Is there a way in Numbers (or other spreadsheets) to get all instances of xyz to show on one screen instead of Find where it sequentially finds one instance then the next, then the next?

Find this, print all instances to screen.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 10:07 AM

14 replies

Aug 26, 2015 11:35 PM in response to rogerchristian

Hi Roger,

Have you tried a simple Find (command-F)?

Here's an example, looking for the text string "an" in Polonius's advice to his son, Laertes, in Shakespeare's Hamlet:

User uploaded file

The contents and location of each cell containing the 22 matches is listed below the table. Clicking on any item will select the cell and bring it into view.

The screen shot shows a table in Numbers '09 (v2). I don't know if this feature is available in Numbers v3.

Regards,

Barry

Aug 27, 2015 7:42 AM in response to rogerchristian

I see that the sort/filter function is built in and I tried to get it to do what I wanted, but MSW just printed it to all in one screen, sort of a report, I guess in looking at the way it was working.

I just want all instances of a string to be put on the screen at once, where I can sort it, etc. for purposes of visually comparing entries, copy, paste.

I have a retail store, and my old sales program reports out in XL text format, so I can just open it directly with MSW (tab-delimited text import). I would report out more data that I needed usually, and just grab what I needed from the filter function of MSW.

I am told by the uber guy at NeoOffice that I was really working in a spreadsheet disguised as a database with MSW, who cares, it worked well.

We have moved to a new version of our sales software after 21 years and it reports out in .xlsx format, MSW just crashes when I try to import from that, so I have had to move to Numbers or use Calc in NeoOffice. Numbers has a much better/friendlier user interface formatting capability than Calc IMHO, and comes close, but still won't do what MSW did. Fast, easy, simple.

So, maybe I need to learn how to write a report format to do the job.

Thanks to all for the feedback, information and inspiration.

Aug 28, 2015 8:21 AM in response to rogerchristian

Hi Roger,

but MSW just printed it to all in one screen, sort of a report, I guess in looking at the way it was working.

Yes, I enjoyed Microsoft Works on a Mac and Windows (sigh). MSW on Windows 3 came close to the Mac paradigm of a Finder for managing documents.

As Quinn has pointed out, Numbers 3 will not list:

all instances of xyz to show on one screen instead of Find where it sequentially finds one instance then the next, then the next?
So, maybe I need to learn how to write a report format to do the job.

How can we help you here? Do you really want to Find, or do you want a summary report?

Numbers is good at summarising data.

Regards,

Ian.

Aug 28, 2015 8:31 AM in response to rogerchristian

rogerchristian wrote:

Is there a way in Numbers (or other spreadsheets) to get all instances of xyz to show on one screen instead of Find where it sequentially finds one instance then the next, then the next?

Find this, print all instances to screen.

This is quite easily done with a short AppleScript acting on a Numbers document. The script could be installed in your Numbers > Services menu so you can get your "report" with a menu pick or by typing a keyboard shortcut.

Can you provide more specifics on what your table or tables look like?

SG

Aug 28, 2015 9:12 AM in response to Yellowbox

Yellowbox:

"Do you really want to Find, or do you want a summary report?"

You put it much more elegantly than I did, yes, I want a summary report of all entries which contain an xyz character string.

And, I want it printed to the screen, in what is a report format.

I am working with data from a retail operation, I need to do updates of descriptions, prices, inventories of merchandise, in short a lot of different types of information which have some character string or trait (same vendor, same type of merchandise) in common, selected from my stocking inventory list of about 12,000 items.

Barry's example above illustrates what information I want to gather, but I don't want to have to go look at each individual entry by clicking on the link, just have it print to screen all instances of my search request.

In addition, I will have to look at the Apple Script suggestion, thank you SGIII.

Aug 28, 2015 10:15 AM in response to rogerchristian

To get you started (post back if you want something different) below is a simple script that prompts for, finds, and lists matches on a search string in a single Numbers table.

1. Copy-paste into Script Editor (in Applications > Utilities)
  2. Click somewhere in the data table.
  3. Click the triangle 'run' button and answer prompt.

Used on this table:

User uploaded file

It gives this kind of result:

User uploaded file

If used often, this can be placed in the Services menu and attached to a keyboard shortcut.

It can also be modified to search all tables on a sheet or in a document, etc.

SG

try

tell application "Numbers" to tell document 1

tell active sheet

tell (table 1 whose selection range's class is range)

set vv to rows'scells'svalue--> list of lists

end tell

end tell

end tell

on error

display dialog "Click a cell in the data table before running" buttons "Cancel"

end try

set f to display dialog "Find this: " default answer "" buttons {"Cancel", "Find"} default button "Find"

set f to result'stext returned

set reportTxt to "Instances found of '" & f & "':" & return & return

set rowNum to 1

repeat with r in vv's items

repeat with c in r's items

if (c as text) contains f then ¬

set reportTxt to (reportTxt & ¬

"Row " & rowNum & tab & tab & c as text) & return

end repeat

set rowNum to rowNum + 1

end repeat

display dialogreportTxtbuttons "OK"

Aug 28, 2015 10:59 AM in response to rogerchristian

Hi roger,

So summary reports are relatively easy with Numbers. The question is what does your data table look like and what info do you want to extract from it. With an added index column it would be easy to extract rows of data from a table similar to SG's. I might want an index for each search term. The columns could be hidden. And you wouldn't have to mess with complicated scripts 😁 (sorry SG couldn't resist).

quinn

Aug 28, 2015 11:11 AM in response to t quinn

quinn,

As you know that "complicated" script of course can easily be modified (I think by adding one line) to place the results on the clipboard as well as in the on screen report, making them available for pasting into a summary table, without having to set up and manage "messy" extra index columns.🙂

SG

Aug 28, 2015 11:46 AM in response to t quinn

t quinn wrote:

I am waiting for someone to ask a more questions where you will use lists.

Yes, lists seem to be at the very core of AppleScript. I think of a list as akin to a row or a column in Numbers, basically just a 1D array.

What's interesting is how easy it is to read a multiple row multiple column range into an AppleScript "list of lists" (a 2D array) and then loop through those.

Lots of things that are hard to do with formulas are quite easy to do via AppleScript's ability to loop through lists or lists of lists. This one loops through the items of the list of lists (equivalent to the rows) and within that loops through the items of each list within the list of lists (equivalent to the individual cells in a row).

SG

I used Microsoft Works for OS9 for many years. The database function had a match function which pulled up in one screen all instances fo an xyz search. Is there a way in Numbers (or other spreadsheets) to get all instances of xyz to show on o scre

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.