Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I operate a macbook with a replaced hard disk and water damaged monitor in clampshell mode to install mac OS?

Hi,

I have a late 2010 Macbook which is water damaged. The water damage has impacted the monitor and the hard drive. I replaced the hard drive since I had a spare but

didn't think it was economically prudent to replace the monitor. Hence, I planned to use an external monitor as the primary monitor for the Macbook in clampshell mode.

Now I am faced with the problem of having to connect my mac machine with no operating system to an external monitor and use the external monitor to install mac OS. I have all the necessary CD's to instal the mac OS but I can't think of a way to get the external monitor to work.

Would the clampshell mode work in this scenario? i.e does the clampshell mode rely on the OS? If not, is there any other alternatives?

Thank you and excuse any ignorance.

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 1:07 PM

6 replies

Aug 26, 2015 1:52 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for that reply.

By using a USB attached external keyboard and mouse, I am assuming you are referring to the clampshell mode. Just to make sure, I wouldn't need my external monitor to be USB attached right? I am using the thunderbolt to VGA adapter to connect to the external monitor.

Thanks for referring Target Disk Mode, didn't know about this.

Aug 27, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

I tried using USB attached keyboard and mouse to enable clampshell mode but this didn't work. I used a Logitech mouse and keyboard to do this.

I am thinking that the mac hardware does not have the necessary drivers to run the mouse and keyboard since it does not have the OS to communicate with the USB hardware. Please advice if I am getting something wrong in working with the clampshell mode.

I am now going to try the Target Disk Mode method and see if this might work. I will post my findings here. Meanwhile, if you think of something please keep me posted.

How can I operate a macbook with a replaced hard disk and water damaged monitor in clampshell mode to install mac OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.