Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ldapmodify is not working

Hi,

I have a yosemite server on a mac mini and i'm trying to make modification using the command line. I want to add a olcRootPW to the system. According to the Openldap documentation I should be able to make modification using the command like: ldapmodify -Y EXTERNAL -H ldapi://// but it is not working.

I tried to modify directly the content of /etc/openldap/slapd.d, but the file are checksumed as stated in the beginning of the file which says to use ldapmodify. So I'm stuck. Anyone as experience with yosemite server with command lines for the directory services (openldap)?

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 3:00 PM

3 replies

May 22, 2016 7:50 AM in response to mtlgeek

beg your pardon - used to alter relative distinguished name

BUT

I've tried it with ldapmodify and it did work. I had written an .ldif-file with the following:

dn: uid=max.mustermann,cn=users,dc=someDomain,dc=someDomain,dc=someTLD

changetype: modify

add: homePostalAddress

homePostalAddress: Some-Street Some-Number, SomeTown

NEXT

The ldapmodify in this scenario will work only (in the specified way below) if

• your computer you're running this command from is on the same network as the OD-Server accessed via LDAP
  • you've navigated in the CLI to your Desktop
  • you've the ldif-file on the Desktop that you're calling via this command

ldapmodify -v -D "uid=YOURDIRECTORYADMINACCOUNT,cn=users,dc=someDomain,dc=someDomain,dc=someTLD" -h 172.19.18.1 -W -f YOURFILEfromABOVE.ldif

You will be prompted for the password of the YOURDIRECTORYADMINACCOUNT

• -v means verbose
  • -D where and as who would you like to bind? Don't forget the hyphens
  • -h the IP or FQDN of the Server you're trying to get in touch with
  • -W interactive prompt for the password - alternatively you can use -w YOURPASSWORD <- not recommended
  • -f the ldif-file

Just tried with the homePostalAddress-attribute - works ✅

HOWEVER

I've tried to add a SMIME-certificate -> fail✖

Instead with the LDAP-Tool jxplorer it did work to add the certificate - hm?

ldapmodify is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.