Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Random Shutdown

Hoping someone else can shed some insight in this issue. Beginning in late July, my late 2012 27 inch iMac has been shutting down at random times, with no pattern whatsoever. Tried removing some software that i suspected may have been the trigger, was of no help. Brought it into the Genius Bar, it passed every test and of course the issue never happened there. The technician suggested it was my surge protector, so I bought a UPS battery backup system. Guess what, issue STILL occurs and it is VERY frustrating. Still under Apple Care warranty, so bringing it in again to the Genius Bar in a couple of days from now. Computer OS is fully up to date, running latest version of Yosemite. Computer can shut down while I am just scrolling through Facebook, watching something on Netflix, or even while it is sitting idly while the screensaver is on. Really need Apple to step up to the plate here, did not pay close to $3,000 for this machine to turn itself off whenever it feels like it.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 2:01 PM

10 replies

Aug 26, 2015 2:11 PM in response to hdr33

It's possible that there is a defective memory module that only occasionally fails, thus causing the random shutdowns. However, tracking that down through tests is almost impossible. Replacing the memory modules is usually a more reliable solution.

It sounds to me like the Apple Store has stepped up to the plate. They are doing what's required. Testing your hardware in search of a cause, but so far nothing has shown up. If you were on their side of this what would your conclusion be?

Aug 26, 2015 2:41 PM in response to hdr33

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

syslog -k Sender kernel -k Message CSeq 'n Cause: -' | tail | awk '/:/{$4=""; print}' | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Aug 26, 2015 2:51 PM in response to Kappy

Thank you for responding. While Apple "seemed" to do all that is required, I still have the problem and that is totally unacceptable. Since I am covered under the Apple Care warranty, then they should be replacing the computer if their technicians cannot find the issue. This is their responsibility to solve the problem, not mine. I paid for this service.

Aug 26, 2015 2:56 PM in response to hdr33

Whenever an anonymous stranger asks you to execute commands in Terminal you should be very wary, Terminal is an effective attack vector, if used with malicious intent or insufficient knowledge it can cripple your Mac. If you do not understand what the code to be entered does then do not enter it. Ensure that that the person who posts it leaves a method of contact for you to use in the event that something goes wrong, and always backup your Mac before executing the code that is posted.

Sep 3, 2015 3:36 PM in response to hdr33

I thought I would post an update on what's been going on. Basically I am back to square one and am very upset. Brought the iMac back to the Genius Bar for a SECOND time this past Saturday and explained the whole situation again about the random shutdowns. I emphasized that it may work fine for a few days without any problem occurring. The guy who helped me said "Oh we will find it this time." So what happens?? I get a phone call the NEXT DAY and was told once again, the iMac passed all of their diagnostic tests and they are declining any repairs. Despite my telling them that it could work fine for a few days they just did their tests for one day and were done with it. To say I was upset is an understatement. Their only suggestion this time was to completely wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall everything like it was a new computer. I asked them what would happen then when restoring everything from my external backup drive? They said it could very well happen again because if it is software related it would be on the external drive as well and I would have to hand pick files from the backup drive I would want to save. I don't see how this could work because how would I know if the files I am restoring aren't infected in some way?? So this solution does not make sense to me. Wiping my computer clean is absolutely a last resort to me because I would lose everything. When I brought it home from the Genius Bar I tried unplugging peripherals, thinking that was the issue. It seemed to work well for about 3 days when I had my iomega external hard drive unplugged but lo and behold, it shutdown twice today anyhow. I am completely lost at this point and totally disgusted and disappointed in Apple Support, they have completely let me down. My Apple Care expires Jan 31, 2016 and I know after that time I am completely screwed. Any other suggestions or similar situations from others out there?? Thanks.

Sep 3, 2015 5:28 PM in response to hdr33

After it restarts, does a dialog box resembling the following appear?

User uploaded file

• If it does, click the Report... button, copy the entire text of the report, and paste it in a reply.
  • If it does not, read the following:

Find the Console app - it is in your Utilities folder and looks like this

User uploaded file

You can find it by selecting Utilities from the Finder's Go menu.

Open Console.

If the log list column on the left is not already displayed, show the log list by selecting Show Log List from Console's View menu. Click the "reveal triangles" adjacent to User Diagnostic Reports and System Diagnostic Reports.

Select the most recent crash or kernel panic report. They have names ending in .crash or .panic, respectively. Copy and Paste the text of the report in a reply to this discussion.

Most of the entries will be cryptic but will contain information you might consider personal such as your Mac's name. If you do not want that information to appear, delete or obscure it when posting your reply. Leave enough information so that the entries can be deciphered.

Nov 27, 2015 6:53 PM in response to hdr33

I have the exact same problem with five trips to the Apple Store and they cannot reproduce the problem. I have been advised on this same forum that it is either a bad power supply or logic board. I did not purchase apple care so I cannot get repair paid for. I am right with you in being totally disgusted with Apple service and support. I think there are many others with the same problem, I have seen this on the forums. If you find a solution let me know.

iMac Random Shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.