Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I remove tradeadexchange malware?

I have had tradeadexchange malware creating new tabs randomly for a few weeks now. I have uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it several times, using crunchify to remove all traces of it. I have run Malwarebytes, Admedic, F-secure and ClamXAV, none of which detected anything. I have looked at all my extensions and disabled them and re-enabled them one by one, to no avail. I really don't know very much about computers at all, and have followed more knowledgeable friends' advice as far as I can, but no one seems to be able to get rid of it. Please help me find out how to get rid of it. I have no idea what to do. Any replies will be most gratefully received. Please feel free to talk to me like an idiot, because I don't know what I'm doing! Thanks so much!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 3:22 PM

73 replies

Aug 26, 2015 3:36 PM in response to Carnationlilyrose

1. Turn off wifi and turn it back on.

Turn off Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi off”.

Visit another website.

You won’t have internet connection.

Turn on Wifi. Click Wifi icon in the menu bar and select “Turn Wifi on”.

Select your Network.

2. Delete Cookies

Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data:

Click the “Details” button.

Remove all cookies except ones from Apple, your internet service provider and banks.

3. Safari > Preferences > Extensions

Turn all extensions off, relaunch Safari and test.

Turn those on one by one and test.

4. What happens if AdwareMedic doesn’t solve the problem?

http://www.adwaremedic.com/kb/unsolved.php

Aug 27, 2015 1:00 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have only used Safari very fleetingly, and that's since Chrome became infected. The malware is very sporadic - it can be a couple of days between pop ups, so I haven't had chance to find out if Safari is affected. I want to carry on using Chrome, really.

I am very anxious about removing F-Secure from the macbook - I don't know if it does anything, but it's all I have. Do I really have to get rid of everything?

Aug 27, 2015 4:22 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

First, never use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" software on a Mac. That's how you create problems, not how you solve them. Remove whatever you installed according to the developers' instructions.

Be advised that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac is not an anti-virus or anti-malware application. By making this statement, you may be confusing the OP and others as well. Don't you agree?

Ciao.

Aug 27, 2015 4:44 AM in response to Carnationlilyrose

Follow dominic23's original advice.

There are some who apparently do not fully understand what Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac actually is. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac is a search and identification tool that will find adware that may have been installed on your Mac. It is essentially is 'use it once' application for a specific problem. Anti-virus and anti-malware applications are permanently installed and either run continuously or periodically in the background and in the case with Macs, can degrade performance or actually corrupt the operation of the Mac. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac does not have such attributes.

Ciao.

Aug 27, 2015 4:55 AM in response to Carnationlilyrose

I have run Malwarebytes, Admedic, F-secure and ClamXAV, none of which detected anything.

When you say that you have run Malwarebytes and Admedic, are you referring to https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

But be advised that it will not run on any operating system lower than Lion, OS x 10.7, so if you are running Snow Leopard, it will not run on your machine.

I strongly doubt that your having used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac (Adware Medic) caused any problems. There is no evidence anywhere that it does. Besides that, even though its name would lead one to think so, it is not, at least at present, an anti-malware program; it is currently designed strictly to remove adware, not malware. It is also extremely unlikely that ClamXav, which is an anti-malware application, caused any problems. Consequently, there is no need to uninstall either.

Aug 27, 2015 4:53 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thank you. I have been using Malwarebytes in that way. It unfortunately has failed to identify the malware in question, so I have uninstalled it after each attempt at using it. (About 4 in the last 5 or 6 weeks.) I have F-Secure running, which I presume falls into the category of anti-virus which you say is damaging. It came with my internet provider 'kit'. I have had a mac for a year, having had Windows for 20 years before that, and tbh, the idea of not having any antivirus at all is very scary.

I followed dominic23's advice, but as the problem is on Chrome, and I only use Safari in emergencies, I don't imagine it will tackle the problem. Am I right there?

Aug 27, 2015 4:58 AM in response to WZZZ

I have used Malwarebytes for Mac and I used Adware Medic before they merged. I haven't any reason to suspect they have caused me any problem, not least because I only downloaded them to sweep for this particular problem, which was already there. I uninstalled them because I was trying to uninstall any download I didn't need, just in case they had brought something in with them, and as all these programmes had failed to turn anything up, there didn't seem any point in keeping them hanging around.

Aug 27, 2015 5:07 AM in response to WZZZ

Adblock Plus, Adblock Pro, Adblock Super, Adguard Adblocker, Calendar and Countdown, Clearly, Extension Defender, Hover Zoom, McAfee Secure safe browsing, Pin It button, Search by Image by Google, Settings button, Speed Dial 2, Stylish, Tampermonkey, TinEye, Wikiwand and TSR Add Ons, the last of which is the only one not from the Chrome Store, but which I have had for over a year before this problem.

Aug 27, 2015 5:26 AM in response to Carnationlilyrose

Normally I would suggest that you disable them one by one, which would be very tedious, since you have so many (many of which I'm not familiar with) or in groups of halves, and test for the tradeexchange behavior. However, since you say that this has only started beginning a few weeks ago, I would disable any that were updated around that time and test. Could be that one of them started doing this. If that doesn't do the trick, then disable them in groups of halves and test, in order to narrow it down to which one is responsible.

I don't use Chrome very often, but I don't understand why you need three adblockers. Also, I don't know if Speed Dial 2 is related to Speed Dial (FVD), but I do know that extensions by the developer of FVD (Flash Video Downloader), in Firefox, have a very poor reputation for installing extraneous junk, adware, with their programs. But maybe completely unrelated.

Aug 27, 2015 5:29 AM in response to WZZZ

None of them were installed then - I've had them for ages, although I have had to reinstall them again after uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it when someone suggested that would solve this problem. The three adblockers are a bit of an obsession! I'd be happy with just one, if I knew which one works the best! I'd do without Speed Dial 2 if I had to - now I think of it, that might have been updated recently. If I just trash it, that won't get rid of the adware, though, will it? In fact I could do without more or less all of them if I thought it'd solve this problem, but I'm guessing that the adware is here to stay now, and getting rid of the vehicle it arrived in wouldn't help. Am I right?

How can I remove tradeadexchange malware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.