Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dropped iphone 6 in water but still working.

I dropped my iphone in water but managed to grab it immediately. It had a cover on it, but not a waterproof one and the screen was lit up as usual. I just dried it off and stood it up for a while so any water that had gone into the sockets would drip out. But it seems to be completely normal. I'm just wondering if I'll have problems with it down the road, or if something happens to it in the future will I be able to claim my warranty if the water seal had been breached? Just wondering if this has happened to anyone before!

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 2:10 PM

9 replies

Aug 26, 2015 6:06 PM in response to clairefromdublin

If you do have problems the will most likely be not being able to power the device, or not able to hold a charge. When you do take to apple if you have those problems they will do a full inspection and see if there has been water damage (they have sure ways that can tell if there is water damage), if they determine you have water damage it will not fall under hardware warranty and you will most likely have to pay the out of warranty fee which is 329 plus taxes.

Aug 26, 2015 7:03 PM in response to clairefromdublin

Dropped my six plus into a clean (thank goodness) toilet bowl a few months ago with nothing other than a leather belt pouch protecting it. It was fully submerged and sinking for two seconds or so. Once retrieved I stood it up vertically against the bathroom counter and left it *alone overnight figuring I'd be at Verizon the next morning buying a replacement. Amazingly it was still working the next morning with no issues and has worked fine ever since. I chalked it up to clean living and the luck of the draw.

* alone: I resisted the urge to touch any buttons or remove it from the leather case while it was still wet thinking I'd only make matters worse or lose a night's worth of sleep at the least - I had already written it off in my mind as dead.

Aug 26, 2015 7:15 PM in response to clairefromdublin

clairefromdublin wrote:

I dropped my iphone in water but managed to grab it immediately. It had a cover on it, but not a waterproof one and the screen was lit up as usual. I just dried it off and stood it up for a while so any water that had gone into the sockets would drip out. But it seems to be completely normal. I'm just wondering if I'll have problems with it down the road, or if something happens to it in the future will I be able to claim my warranty if the water seal had been breached? Just wondering if this has happened to anyone before!

Apple devices have moisture detectors built inside. If your iPhone does develop problems and you take it in for service the technician will inspect the moisture detector for activation. If activated your warranty is voided because accidental damage is not covered. Some carriers offer accidental damage coverage with a deductible.

Aug 26, 2015 7:29 PM in response to lkrupp

Interesting...I wasn't aware of these moisture detectors but it doesn't surprise me. Most companies I've worked with have ways to determine what likely caused a device failure from experience if not through testing.

I was prepared to walk into Verizon that next morning and tell them to bill me for a new phone as it's basically my entire office when I'm offsite as well as my pager. I can't afford to be without it. Bottom line is I was just very lucky!

Dropped iphone 6 in water but still working.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.