Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should Java be running on my Mavericks machine?

I thought that, for security reasons, you shouldn't run Java on an Apple computer these days. Is this the case? (I do mean Java and not JavaScript). I ask because I've found it on my Mavericks machine (OSX v.10.9.5). There are mostly empty folders for it in Library (except for something called CoreDeploy.bundle), but there are actual files in System\Library, they being:

libQTJNative.jnilib

MRJToolkit.jar

QTJava.zip

I'm asking because earlier today I tried to run an Internet speedchecker at my ISP's website and it failed to do so and resulted in crashing the browser (Safari 7.1.8). I wondered whether perhaps, at that time, it'd attempted to install Java on my Mac.

Anyone know anything about this? Are those above-mentioned files legit? Is it ever recommended to run Java on OSX 10.9.5?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 3:11 PM

Those are all part of the Apple Legacy Runtime Java for OS X 2015-001. Apps like Photoshop and Photoshop Elements require it in order to operator. It's the runtime version and is safe to have.

User uploaded file

39 replies

Aug 27, 2015 5:04 AM in response to Old Toad

Ah, so those files I found are valid Apple files, then?! And, from 'Java for OSX 2015-001', it appears that they're quite recent ones.

I do run Photoshop Elements, as it happens, but only the v12 that was produced especially for the Mac and which is just the editor. (Annoyingly, I've never found where you can get updates for that version of PE. I've searched in vain all over Adobe's website. The editor-only v12 was only ever made available through the Apps Store and when I bought it about 18 months ago I assumed its updates would come alongside OSX updates, but none have ever materialised. Earlier this year, Apple removed that app from the Apps Store.).

Getting back to the business of Java, though, I guess I misunderstood the advice from Apple originally. I think that what they probably meant was not that all Java was potentially harmful but more that you shouldn't (either knowingly or unknowingly) install any third-party version, as there'd already be an approved version installed in OSX.

Anyway, Old Toad, many thanks for putting me straight on that. It looks like I've nothing to worry about.

Aug 27, 2015 7:39 AM in response to carefulowner

The accurate advice is NOT to run Java in a web browser, as that is the vector for bad things to happen.

An application running on your Mac that happens to use Java is not a risk (assuming it is a trusted application).

The difference is that in a web browser, someone else (or a lot of inventive someone elses) is sending code in the form of Java to be run on your Mac. If a flaw is found in the Java run-time, or the browser's sandbox, etc... then it can be used as a vector into more sensitive areas of your Mac.

An application written in Java is generally not interested in breaking into your Mac, as it is already there. Again assuming the app is trusted (and you have to trust some apps). Java in and of itself is not evil, no more so than Objective-C, Swift, C, C++, etc...

Aug 27, 2015 8:18 AM in response to Lexiepex

Lex,

To some extent I agree with you about Adobe apps. However, it's difficult avoiding Flash Player altogether, or if you're a Windows user, Acrobat Reader. I use the full Photoshop on a Windows machine, and have the Elements 12 version on this Mac mostly just for compatibility reasons, for images that are from time to time transferred between the two machines.

Aug 27, 2015 8:48 AM in response to carefulowner

1. Flashplayer: more leaks and holes by the day now. You can safely uninstall, because most websites have already a long time gone forward to use html5. If Safari will not play a video displaying the "missing plugin" message, do following: In SafariPreferences->Advanced tab check "display Develop menu in Safari menu", then in the Develop menu in the Safari menu choose UserAgent and choose Safari8.1 iPad. 99% it will display the video.

iPhone and iPads do not have flashplayer at all.

2. I do not know if the two Adobe apps still need Java. When not get rid of Java.

Java is almost as bad as Flashplayer (I am not talking about Javascript in Safari, which is a different animal alltogether).

Lex

Aug 27, 2015 10:26 AM in response to Old Toad

Not everything is on Roaringapps I am afraid, and there are a few "mistakes" even. I am not going over to ElCapitan before I have tested it in a testsystem. My last Adobe survivor for example is Lightroom 6 Standalone and I use it often, so I am particularly afraid that it will not run perfectly. Normally I upgrade OS when the first update is available...

Lex

Aug 27, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Old Toad

Old Toad wrote:

I just read today that El Capitan will not run the Apple Legacy Java so the older versions of Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, etc. will probably not be compatible with EC. That will be a real shame.

Interesting, since https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572 states:

Java for OS X 2015-001 installs the legacy Java 6 runtime for OS X 10.11 El Capitan, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, OS X 10.9 Mavericks, OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, and OS X 10.7 Lion.

This package is exclusively intended for support of legacy software

27" i7 iMac (Mid 2011) refurb, OS X Yo (10.10.5), Mavs, ML & SL, G4 450 MP w/10.5 & 9.2.2

Aug 27, 2015 3:39 PM in response to Old Toad

User uploaded file The biggest issue I have with the new OS is Apple's attempt to lock the OS down and make my computer like one of their iOS thingys, sandboxed behind their garden wall. Really not looking forward to future OS Xs. It's bad enough that they made everything dull, gray, and drab, removing most, if not all color from the GUI.

Should Java be running on my Mavericks machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.