Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

optimised media - x2pro - avchd...how can I tell FCPX to point to the optimised ones not to the original media?

Hi everybody,
After months of hard work, finally my 1 hour long documentary is done...just one step missing: audio engineering...My audio guy uses Pro Tools and FCPX can't export AAF/OMF...a big step backword in respect of FCP7....

So I had to buy x2ProLE...When I lunched the export from fcpXML to AAF....a strange error message popped out...X2PRO's video engine is Quick Time...so it can't read .mts files...and it can't extract audio from it...

I know that it is not necessary to transcode AVCHD to Optimised media (i should have done just the proxy ones...right?) or at least I was told that...but I did optimised that...So now I have the .mov to be linked in the XML...to let the audio extraction process to be smooth...

The question is...how can I tell to FCPX...please stop looking for the best quality video files, please point only to the optimised???

I mean in the upper right corner of the viewer I can check the proxy option and working on the time line is many times faster...there is a button like this to be pushed in order to let FCPX use only the optimised media? So X2PRO would be happy?
Would this process involve relinking in any way? Because I have 1000 clips and 1/2 TB library, relinking (i did already for storage reasons) take days...

On the X2PRO forum I was advised to convert clips with clipwarps to .mov but first of all I already have .mov (as optimised ) second I don't know if after converting I should relink or not...

Thank you in advance for your help

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 1:32 PM

9 replies

Aug 26, 2015 2:09 PM in response to nicopiro

FFCP always uses optimized if it's available. The problem is you want X2Pro to use the ProRes files. From the advise you got from the X2Pro forum it sounds as if you cannot force it to use the optimized files rather than the original files. Normally when you import AVCHD media it's rewrapped to QuickTime during import so the problem doesn't arise.

Aug 27, 2015 1:45 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Unfortunately the problem is very frequent and it can be solved only finding a way around.

Many X2PRO users have it...see here (read the answer from the moderator please)

http://www.x2pro.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=12&id=908&Item id=744#2458

and here
http://www.x2pro.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=12&id=754&Item id=744#1492

Unfortunately, I was wrong in not optimising the clip in one batch at the beginning so now I have spots of unoptimised clips here and there.

In the first thread from X2PRO forum they suggest a way out but I feel confused about it...HELP!

Aug 28, 2015 4:57 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you...I can't do it in batch (i.e. selecting the entire event) because it tells me that there is not enough room on the HD (it not realistic because it is a 3T HD) ...so I'm transcoding smaller batches...

BTW if the proxy and optimised media have the same audio quality, I figure out this way out for X2PRO: exporting a XML pointing to the proxy files which for sure are .mov...I can't wait to test it.

Ciao
Nico

Aug 30, 2015 8:36 AM in response to nicopiro

LAST UPDATE

All the files have been converted to .mov (either proxy and optimised). I have clips in multiple folders and sub-folders, given that my library was built around a 20 day long shooting session, it means that I have clips with the same name...i.e. I have six 00000.mts...(of course in different folders, whose name is 02-0X-2015).

TheX2PRO guy suggests to "show package contents" in the library, and relink files from the "high quality media" folder which is filled just with alias files. In my case, this leads to 6 files names 00000.mts...even considering the tag (fcpx1).mts, added by the system in the name, manually relinking is very difficult. So I tried to do it pointing to the "proxy file" folder (which keeps the same subfolders structure of the original media folder).
At the moment, I'm stuck in the middle of the mud...because I donno why I can't relink file into the compound clips (audio/video syncronized togheter)...switching from mts to mov....

BTW Can you imagine how difficult is to manually relink 1000 clips or so?

I'm so sorry to say that X2PROLE according to my experience doesn't deliver its promise of an easy transition from FXPX to PRO TOOLS

Aug 30, 2015 10:28 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom...with all the due respect to your great knowledge of FCPX and with great gratitude for you priceless help...
I have to reply to your last statement: AVCHD is a professional standard given that is used by XDCAM and P2 cameras...
What is not professional here is the fact that Apple doesn't want FCPX to communicate easily with PRO TOOLS to push on the market Logic X, which unfortunately is not so popular among the audio guy.
I think that a great tool like FCPX MUST offer a straight export of AAF/OMF files...

Anyway...because of the known problem of FCPX with relinking compound clips, while switching from .mts to .mov, I had to rebuild manually a few clips...but at the end I DID GENERATE my AAF file!!! Yepiiieee

AGAIN to me the best way around in X2PRO isn't the one suggested by their support (pointing to "High Quality Media" folder) but rebuilding the link pointing straight to the "optimised media" folder...

Aug 31, 2015 5:01 AM in response to nicopiro

I'm glad you got things going. I should leave it at that but I can't because your message is so misinformed,

AVCHD is a professional standard given that is used by XDCAM and P2 cameras...

This is wrong in every respect. First cameras that use P2 media use primarily multiple Panasonic formats, DV, DVCPRO, DVOR50 and DVCPRO HD, that are both SD and HD. These formats have absolutely nothing to do with AVCHD, which is H.264 MPEG-4. The Panasonic formats are I-frame and use a completely different encoding structure, relying on raster resizing in HD for compression. AVCHD is MPEG-4 based and XDCAM is entirely different, an MPEG-2 based format that uses an MXF wrapper. XDCAM only uses MPEG-4 for proxy files. The MPEG transport stream was intended to be used solely for broadcast transmission and was later adapted for acquisition. It was never intended to be used as a production format. Many users began ripping the transport stream files out of the AVCHD wrappers, which led software manufactures to allow including these transport files in their applications. This was a grave mistake in my view and should never have been allowed. There were incredibly simple procedures to directly import AVCHD media into applications that rewrapped the MPEG-4 files into a production format. That should have remained the standard, but unfortunately it was not, and some users ended up with this completely inappropriate transport files inside production applications.

If there is anything that MUST happen it is that Avid MUST abandon the totally obsolete and very limited OMF function, and it's almost equally arcane AAF function and join the 21st century and start using far more comprehensive and versatile XML functions.

known problem of FCPX with relinking compound clips, while switching from .mts to .mov

This only happens if someone very unwisely brings .mts files into the application. This should never happen, and would not happen if the media was properly handled.

optimised media - x2pro - avchd...how can I tell FCPX to point to the optimised ones not to the original media?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.