Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop unwanted downloads?

I just downloaded iTunes update 12.2.2.25, and it immediately started downloading stuff like wild. How do I make it download only stuff I want? That is, I would like full manual control of what gets downloaded onto my disc. I assume that my kids purchased some of this stuff under the family shared iTunes account, but I can't be sure.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 4:56 PM

2 replies

Aug 28, 2015 6:47 AM in response to klarg

Hello there, klarg.

It sounds like you have the Automatic Downloads feature turned on and content that you've purchased with your Apple ID has begun downloading. The following Knowledge Base article provides some great information in regards to the features and how to adjust the settings:

Turn on Automatic Downloads - Apple Support

If you want to automatically download your purchases from the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store to your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or computer, turn on Automatic Downloads.

All new content that you buy after you turn on Automatic Downloads automatically downloads to all of your devices. When you turn on Automatic Downloads, your device also associates with your Apple ID.

If you use Family Sharing and turn on Automatic Downloads, content that other members of your family buy won't automatically download to your devices. Only content that you've purchased with your Apple ID will download automatically.

{...}

What you'll need

You'll also need to sign in to both your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, and your computer with the same Apple ID.

Turn on Automatic Downloads

On your computer

1. Open iTunes.
  2. If you haven't authorized your computer, choose Store > Authorize This Computer.
  3. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose iTunes > Preferences. Then click the Store tab.
    Windows: Press the Control and B keys on your keyboard to open the iTunes menu bar. Choose Edit > Preferences. Then click the Store tab. Learn more about menus in iTunes for Windows.
  4. Select the content that you want to automatically download. If you can't select anything, sign in to the iTunes Store with your Apple ID.
    User uploaded file
  5. Click OK.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

Aug 28, 2015 8:39 AM in response to pedro d

OK

I did that, but apparently the missing step was that I had to shut down iTunes and restart it for the choice to take effect.

It seems ok now as far as the downloads have stopped. However, the downloads do not show up in the "Recently Added" playlist. They do show up in the "Unplayed" playlist which for some reasons also show some tunes that I know that I have played dozens of times. It will take some sorting out.

How do I stop unwanted downloads?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.