Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5C Reboot Problem

My iPhone 5C shut off last night and didn't turn on when I used the sleep/wake button as normal. I had to hold the sleep and home buttons for about 30 seconds till it came back on again, and today it began restarting itself once every 20 minutes or so. Seeing as this is the THIRD time I've had this problem with a 5C (this is my third phone in 1 year), I quickly connected to iTunes and backed everything up. I tried to restore to factory settings and then restore a backup in the hopes that it would solve the problem, but when I began to restore the backup, it disconnected from iTunes and is now constantly rebooting. However, about 5-7 seconds after the Apple logo appears, the screen "fades out." My best way to describe this is the way it looks when you turn off a GameBoy Color? The screen kind of goes into little lines? Yeah, that's how it looks. My wireless carrier has been very gracious and has provided me with a free replacement every time, but I am now looking for a permanent solution to the problem. If anyone can help, or even offer advice, PLEASE DO. This is the THIRD time this has happened, and on the THIRD 5C I have purchased. (Each problem has occurred on a separate 5C.)

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.4.1, Rebooting Problem (3rd time.)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 5:03 PM

2 replies

Aug 27, 2015 4:39 AM in response to flynnifer

Update: I have managed to get it to stop rebooting over and over again by restoring it to factory settings, however, when I turn on the iPhone, all it says is to connect it to iTunes. When I do connect it, it tells me I need to update my software in order to restore the backup, but when I try to update it, the iPhone keeps disconnecting itself from my computer and I'm unable to do anything with it. It's as if it's trying to update, but every time iTunes verifies the update with Apple, the iPhone crashes and disconnects. I'm about to chunk it and just get a 5 or 5s.

Aug 27, 2015 7:45 PM in response to flynnifer

Update: I have talked to Tech Support with my wireless carrier, and rather than get a free replacement, I went to their retail store and purchased an iPhone 6 on another line. The manager said they have people come in with the same 5c problem all the time, and as soon as it goes through that on/off cycle, there is no way to fix it. It's something to do with the hardware and the software not working together properly? The 5cs aren't "built" like the others and that's why there are so many problems with them, and that's why many carriers give them away for 99 cents upon signing a new contract. if you're having the same problem as me, I'm sorry to say; it's time to get a new phone. It's not worth getting endless replacements for the 5c (pre-owned ones, I might add) if they're just going to break over and over again. When I got home this evening, I took my 5c and smashed it on the driveway. Satisfaction was attained.

iPhone 5C Reboot Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.