Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

safari won't work with Xfinity modem

Have spent hours on phone with Comcast after they messes up my account. Now Safari and Mac Mail will not work, but firefox works fine. They claim it is a Mac problem. When it happened before, I was lucky enough to get a Mac savvy technician who re-booted the firmware and changed security settings in the modem.

I haven't changed anything on either of my two macs, but it takes 90 seconds for safari to load google and the mail servers time out before getting mail.

Please help!

Thank you,

Gary

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.8), safari and mac mail will not work

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 3:14 PM

9 replies

Aug 26, 2015 7:54 PM in response to bardsg

Gary --

I have Comcast, too. And their modem.

I did have a couple problems when upgrading the OS, but it was a settings problem on my Mac, not anything of Comcast's.

What happened after your Mail & Safari worked fine? Did you upgrade your OS, add any significant apps, or did you delete anything ?

Your Operating System is 10.6.8? (You're aware that that is an old OS, right?)

What version of Safari are you running? What version of Mail?

Aug 27, 2015 8:20 AM in response to bardsg

Hi Bee,

Thank you for the reply.

Nothing changed on either of my Macs after they got it working, before killing it again. They had canceld my user names and that seemed to trigger the failure to work with Safari and Mac Mail.

I know 10.6.8 is dated, but it has been very stable and I use the laptop primarily to hold photos taken on vacations and the hard drive is almost completely full. I need to take them off onto DVDs to allow enough room to upgrade the OS.

The one Comcast tech I spoke to that was familiar with Macs did something with the security settings and it suddenly started working. The last tech admitted he wasn't very familiar with Macs and said it had to be a Mac problem since Firefox works OK. He can't get in touch with the previous tech as he is off for a few days. Very frustrating.

Gary

Aug 27, 2015 9:06 AM in response to bardsg

Gary:

I use the laptop primarily to hold photos taken on vacations and the hard drive is almost completely full.

That is a big problem . . . and could affect everything on there. do get the photos onto another device, ASAP.

Like this weekend, eh?

Also, I went through a loss of addresses with Comcast. and it did cause all kinds of grief.

But if you get available space back on your HD, you can at least rule that out.

All the best.

Aug 27, 2015 10:42 AM in response to TildeBee

Thanks Bee. Strangely enough, email and Safari are working better today - especially if I use the Xfinity hotspot, not the router internal to the modem. That makes me think there is something going on with the router settings, not the modem itself.

I appreciate the advice and help. Will get the photos onto disc soon and upgrade the OS. Know it will introduce new problems, but that comes with the territory.

Gary

Aug 28, 2015 5:51 AM in response to TildeBee

Hi Bee,

After doing more diagnostics and trying things, I discovered that Mac Mail and Safari work fine with the Xfinity Hot Spot, but not with the internal, private router. When I discussed this with their tier 3 support, they looked at the modem and realized the signal levels were way out of whack.

A technician is coming this morning to change out the modem. As I thought from the first, it is not a Mac problem, but a Comcast problem that they are not able to diagnose.

I will be archiving the photos and upgrading the OS in any case.

Thanks for your assistance and support.

Gary

Aug 28, 2015 9:32 AM in response to TildeBee

Hi Bee,

Technician just left after replacing the modem and resetting the signal levels into the house. He also said the main problem was that the wifi router had lost the gateways necessary for it to work. The firmware couldn't connect to the internal (private) router without these being in place and even a hard connection to the router couldn't function.

Thanks again for your help and I hope this information will help others when Comcast claims it is a "Mac" problem. It usually means they didn't check everything on their end.

Gary

safari won't work with Xfinity modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.