Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing omniweb is taking hours

I Have been installing omniweb for about 12 hours. It seems to stop half way throug. I turned the computer off due to over heating. When I turned it back on it goes back to installing. Can I abort the install and how? I have a iMac early 2008. I looked and thought I saw that it was compatible. Please help thankyou

tamara

iMac, iOS 8.4.1, Mac early 2008 desktop

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 4:56 PM

20 replies

Aug 26, 2015 5:12 PM in response to Bunsnbutters

Did you download a standalone installer for OmniWeb? The current version, OmniWeb 5.11.2, is compatible with 10.4.8 or higher. I believe the download is a disc image - .dmg file extension. After mounting the disk image file on your Desktop there is just a standalone application which you can drag into your Applications folder.

If there is an installer application, however, then press COMMAN-OPTION-ESC to open the task manager. Locate the installer in the list and select it. Click on the Force Quit button. See if that aborts the installer.

Aug 26, 2015 7:32 PM in response to Kappy

I Also didn't think it mattered but I had just installed memeory. The computer booted up and showed the installed memeory and was running fine. I wish I knew what I inatalled. I thought it was omniweb. I have tried shutting down and hitting the shift key with no luck. I'm not sure what to do next. I posted a picture of the screen. Any help would be appreciated I'm so frustrate.

Aug 26, 2015 10:38 PM in response to Bunsnbutters

From the picture you have installed OS X or your computer is trying to startup from OS X. To restart you must first shutdown. Press and hold down the Power button until the computer shuts down. Now do this:

Reinstalling OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the main menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless and more reliable.

Alternatively, see:

Reinstall OS X Without Erasing the Drive

Choose the version you have installed now:

OS X Yosemite- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mavericks- Reinstall OS X

OS X Mountain Lion- Reinstall OS X

OS X Lion- Reinstall Mac OS X

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet

if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Aug 27, 2015 9:34 PM in response to Kappy

I Spent a ton of time and figured out I was trying to install Yosemite. I somehow ended up in the utililties screen and picked verify disk permissions and it came back with errors. I picked repair permissions and then restarted. I ended up with the screen saying I was installing os10 so I went tbrought the install. The. It rebooted back to the install like the picture. I'm not sure but I was on a site that told me to go boot into single user. I thought that's what happened but the screen went back to the install screen again. I decided to wait then the screen went to sleep. I hit the power button until it turned off then turned it back on and it went back to normal with Yosemite. I thought all was well until I turned it off and back on and now I'm back to the same screen half installed. Not sure what my next step is. Should I do what you previous recommended?

Aug 28, 2015 9:33 PM in response to Kappy

Hello again

I did exactly what you told me and got the computer running great again. I did all my updates and everything was great with the new operating system until this afternoon. Everything froze and command option escape wasn't working so I turned it off with the power button. when it turned on it went back to the install screen I sent you the photo of and is stuck again. I wasn't sure if I should repeat the process again. Or why it's rebooting to installing. Would you mind helpinge again?

Installing omniweb is taking hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.