Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted Old Photos Sync to iPhone from iTunes (Photos App)

Hello,

I'm trying to keep only a reasonable number of photos on my iPhone using the "Automatically include photos from last year" option in iTunes. I sync new photos to the Photos app then delete them off my phone, then add them back on by syncing through iTunes. This keeps all my photos on my Mac, and only recent photos on my phone.

This works great except for one irritating glitch: a handful of really old photos still make it on my iPhone. For example, two from 2004, two from 2009, one from 2010, etc. I don't want them appearing on my phone and of course I can't simply delete them since they are synced photos (eg, not in camera roll).

Keep in mind

• I know the metadata on the photos are correct: I checked, and they are listed under the appropriate year on the phone.
  • I already tried unsyncing and deleting all photos and resyncing them, and I get the exact same result: the exact same anomalous old photos still sync.
  • It seems completely random which photos sync: they are of different people from different albums. They aren't favourited.
  • I don't have any other albums or anything set to sync, only the "Automatically include" option.
  • I am using the latest iOS on an iPhone 6 and latest iTunes on iMac.
  • I don't use iCloud Photo Library

Soooo frustrating, does anyone know what the heck is happening?

Thanks.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1, 64 GB

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 5:24 PM

3 replies

Aug 28, 2015 7:38 AM in response to divus_bryce

Divus,

I have had your post bookmarked and have been meaning to reply but other priorities called. Sorry no one has and sorry for this late one... At any rate I have had analogous issues - not quite the same as you but along those lines. I can explain my issue in more detail if you want but in a nutshell, I get what I call junk albums that are created automatically every single time my iPad Air updates to a new version of iOS 8. I keep one folder/album of my favorite travel pictures synced from my PC to my Air and "magically" right after any and all updates, my Photos App shows up with 4 to 5 additional Albums with the name of a folder I once had on my PC that no longer exists (at one time I had synced that folder to the pad also). These junk albums are populated with some of the same pictures from the one Travel album that had been previously synced (strange and confusing, I can post screen shots if interested). The Travel album is intact and the junk photos are duplicates. This issue has been at AppleCare Level 2 for 6 months who escalated it to Engineering, so far to no avail as they are at a loss (other priorities). For me this is not a big issue, all I have to do is re-sync my Travel album every time right after an iOS update and it wipes out the others. This adds about 5-10 minutes to the updating process.

At any rate, while researching the above and also how to sort the pictures so they show up on the pad in the order I want, I came across a pesky issue with iOS which may be of relevance to you. I sync from a PC but I also have a MBP and I can look at the same pictures there as well. iPads and iPhones (all iOS) display photos in the order of "date created" (using PC terminology) which is not necessarily the same as "date taken". All pictures start with the same taken and created date but as you copy, edit, etc. changes are made to the metadata and thus new created dates get established. For instance, copying (not moving) a picture on a PC preserves the date taken but established a new date created on the metadata (the new date being the date of the copy). On a PC, date taken remains fixed (unless I manually edit it). On a PC there is no way to edit the created date, maybe with 3rd party software, but neither File Manager nor Photoshop can do it directly (there is a workaround). My Mac however presents me with different info. For instance looking at my first picture on my Travel album on my PC I see the same date taken and date created 6/4/2014. Looking at the same picture (with no edits in between, simply copying by USB to Mac) the Mac shows "modified" 6/4/2014 (obviously the same as taken above) and "created" on November 29, 2014 which may well be the date that I copied the picture to the Mac.

The bottom line of this write-up is that I believe your issue lies with the metadata but not necessarily with the date created or modified that may show up on your Mac. This is the critical sentence here: I suspect that the pesky old pictures that keep showing up somehow while truly being old and showing the proper old taken date, may have been copied or somehow modified in such fashion that other components of the metadata present the pictures to your "Last Year Sync" as if they were actually taken last year. Does this make sense? If you had a PC I could elaborate further about making changes to the metadata. Since I have not done so on my Mac I cannot advise there. But I would start by going into Get Info in both Finder and your Photos App (Mac, not iOS) and see if you can discover some sort of pattern to the photos. If so I would be most interested in hearing about it....

Best,

elcpu

Oct 8, 2015 10:19 AM in response to elcpu

I'm having the same problem. No solution, but more information.

The crucial part is the migration date from iPhoto to the new Mac Photos App. Something went wrong with a few photos.

If you have migrated you library let's say 8 days ago and you select in iTunes the option "Automatically include photos from last week", those old photos are no longer synced to you iPhone. Something went wrong during the migration. Yes this could be something with metadata. In Photos on the Mac they are dated correct and on the iPhone also. Apparently iTunes syncs some photos according their change data (if the migration from iPhoto to Photos is a change date) and not their Exif date. Not sure if the problem is iTunes or Photos. Never had a problem with syncing the photos in the past, when I was using iPhoto.

Oct 8, 2015 11:13 AM in response to andreasfromwaging

Thanks for the reply, your feedback is appreciated. I have a MBP but I use a PC as my main workhorse and as a result I sync from it to my iPad and iPhone.

I have solved my issue!!! First I downloaded a 3rd party program that stripped all metadata from the pictures, and I mean all (I kept a backup copy of the originals). All that remained was the "creation date" when I copied the pictures to the folder I sync from the PC. This did not help!!!! so metadata was never the problem.

I then restored my iPad to New and did not use any backup. To facilitate this I took 99 screenshots of my iPad configuration, imported them to my PC, and used them as a sort of "visual backup". I then spent 12 hours, literally, re-downloading all apps from scratch and reconfiguring all settings and apps. As it turned out in Dec 2014 I did an OTA iOS update (never OTA again) that corrupted my Photos App on the iPad and the only way to solve this was to restore as New. My iPhone never had the problem.

Your issue may be different so I don't know if this will help you or not. Best of luck....

Unwanted Old Photos Sync to iPhone from iTunes (Photos App)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.