Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is 10-11 mb/s data transfer speed to be expected from the 1TB Time Capsule A1355?

I've owned my Time Capsule since 2010, it's always had slow data transfer speed and I've never been able to figure out where the bottleneck is. I bought this with the intention of using it as a NAS and it's always struggled with playing large 1080p video files, even through a 6' CAT6 connection. Is it just that the Time capsule was only designed to be used for backups, it was never meant to be used as a media drive, because that has been the only answer I've been able to find. To my knowledge my Timecapsule has a 7200RPM HDD, with gigabit LAN ports, shouldn't I be getting faster speeds than this when transferring files?

1 TB Time Capsule A1355-OTHER, Other OS, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 5:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 5:46 PM

You should get 40-50MBytes/s transfer speeds over ethernet.

So first question.. b is bits and B is Bytes.. lets be clear what you are measuring and how.. network speed is in bits per sec. File transfer is in Bytes per sec just to be confusing.

10-11MBytes/s sounds like you have a 100mbit limit in there somewhere. Most TV and video players only use 100mbit ports.. that = 12MBytes max.

And is more than fast enough for any HD video.

So second question.. what are you playing the videos on.. and is it 100mbit ports.. there is the throttle.. but it should not cause issues.

If you are using windows.. it can be slow.. to windows the TC is an NT server.. and it is less than excellent..

Give me a straight file copy speed from your computer to TC with wireless off.. use a single large file.. eg >1GB and tell me what you get.

Copy the same file back to the PC.. tell me what you get.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2015 5:46 PM in response to Demonrow

You should get 40-50MBytes/s transfer speeds over ethernet.

So first question.. b is bits and B is Bytes.. lets be clear what you are measuring and how.. network speed is in bits per sec. File transfer is in Bytes per sec just to be confusing.

10-11MBytes/s sounds like you have a 100mbit limit in there somewhere. Most TV and video players only use 100mbit ports.. that = 12MBytes max.

And is more than fast enough for any HD video.

So second question.. what are you playing the videos on.. and is it 100mbit ports.. there is the throttle.. but it should not cause issues.

If you are using windows.. it can be slow.. to windows the TC is an NT server.. and it is less than excellent..

Give me a straight file copy speed from your computer to TC with wireless off.. use a single large file.. eg >1GB and tell me what you get.

Copy the same file back to the PC.. tell me what you get.

Aug 26, 2015 6:27 PM in response to Demonrow

10.7MB/s sounds to close to 100mbit to be coincidence.

Find out if gigabit is really linking at gigabit.

If you have wireless on.. turn it off.

If you have ipv6 off turn it on.

Any mac that runs 10.4 might have IDE disk that is so slow it is unable to manage even close to gigabit speed.

Over wireless you will never really get high speed, and wireless will interfere with ethernet.. for reasons even I do not understand.. so make sure it is off.

Try again..

I have tested it from windows xp up to 8.1 and have no problems but you must be running everything exactly right.

Windows will have much more issues than Mac getting the connection to full speed.

Aug 26, 2015 6:52 PM in response to LaPastenague

Let me modify my statement above.. on a good day.. when everything in windows is running just right.. it is fine..

Today.. my copy to the TC managed a peak of around 12MB/s and copy from the TC was around 18MB/s

The same file copied to a 2011 mini.

User uploaded file

And from the mini back to the TC.

User uploaded file

So windows is doing its usual stuff.

Test windows in isolation from the network.. so just ethernet from LAN TC to LAN windows PC..

Tell me what speed you get.. do you have IPv6 on?? This is now important.

Aug 26, 2015 7:18 PM in response to Demonrow

Sorry, looks like the text is hard to see but wirelessl is off, ipv6 is set to link-local and my transfer speed is 10.8mbps, so something is definitely slowing the transfer speed down. Is there anything else in Airport Utility that I can change? If not then I'll go to another forum with the settings I might need to change in Windows

Aug 26, 2015 7:45 PM in response to LaPastenague

Homegroup is on

Speed stayed the same regardless of whether or not the Firewall was on

I've used Windows 7 and Windows 10 and have had the same results. It seems like the transfer speed is being regulated at 100mbps.

I've come to terms with this, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I bought my Time Capsule in 2010 without reading everybody's experiences with slow transfer speeds, then I felt like maybe my MacBook pro was the bottleneck. I built my pc in 2012 with decent specs and still had the same issue. It does a great job of backing up my data and storing my media and it's only 1080p playback that gives me any trouble.

I'll quit playing games and look into a real NAS

Is 10-11 mb/s data transfer speed to be expected from the 1TB Time Capsule A1355?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.