Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fluctuating Volume across entire system

Hi everyone,

Have a weird problem. I've also found multiple forum and discussion threads on this issue dating back to 2010.

Without any apparent reason or trigger point, the volume on my Mid-2010 Mac Pro started fluctuating on it's own.

There is no observable factor that affects or triggers the volume fluctuation.

I've tried deleting the iTunes plist files, done a PRAM reset, even a complete power cycle including my UPS. But nothing seems to be able to resolve it.

It's become extremely frustrating as my creative work revolves around having to edit audio as well.

Any one has come up with a viable solution these past 5 years?

Mid-2010 Mac Pro

Mac OS 10.5.5

256GB SSD

64GB RAM

Audio Output: Line Out

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 64GB RAM, 256GB SSD

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 8:43 PM

2 replies

Aug 30, 2015 11:54 PM in response to iunspoken

Hey there !

I had for two years problems with volume fluctuation. Contacted apple more than once, nobody could help me.

Finally I found the solution. It appeared to be a malware problem.

Installed and ran the free malwarebytes scanner, that found a couple of malware in my browsers.

And I installed the free trial version of Bitdefender, that found with its "continues scan" two viruses called mplayerx.

Since then I have no more volume fluctuation at all.

I as many Mac users thought there are no Mac viruses, but it appears to be: There are, especially a lot of malware.

Hope I could help.

Bye !

Fluctuating Volume across entire system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.