Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP7: Log & Transfer will not recognize a new folder.

In Log & Transfer, I get the notice that the directory structure is invalid. I am trying to create a new logging folder. How can I correct this?

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 2:09 AM

3 replies

Aug 27, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Impie

What footage are you trying to Log and Transfer? Shot with what camera? Do you have the Log and Transfer plugin for that specific camera? Is that camera too new, and not supported by FCP 7? Did you change the names of any of the sub folders, or of the main folder of this tapeless media?

Typical workflow is to make a new folder, name that folder, and drop THE ENTIRE CONTENTS of a card into that folder. And not rename any of the card contents, not even the folders.

Aug 27, 2015 5:44 PM in response to Shane Ross

It's a Sony EA50u. The HD 1920x1080 30p is on an SDhc card, #10. It transferred over, but I want to know where the material is actually located and if I can move the contents to another drive. The main Mac HDD drive is almost full.

I have created a new logging bin that is on a preferred external drive. When I select the log file button on the top right of the Log & Transfer screen, I get the directory structure message.

How can I get new material to log & transfer to the new logging bin successfully?

Aug 27, 2015 6:08 PM in response to Impie

Yeah...that camera is too new to be supported. FCP 7 was last updated 5 years ago...discontinued 4.5 years ago. It's no longer being updated, and log and transfer plugins are not longer being made for it. So you need to use third party software to convert if you plan on still using FCP 7. EditReady by divergentmedia.com is my tool of choice. Use it to convert the footage to ProRes 422.

Don't pick and choose folders inside the card backup to move...or to archive. Archive EVERYTHING! As I said, make a new folder, name that folder what you want...back up the FULL CARD STRUCTURE into that folder. And when you move it to other drives, or back it up to other drives...copy that entire folder over. Without that full card structure, some edit software cannot import the media. I know you use FCP 7 now, and it's not supported, but you might switch one day and that edit software will need that full structure in order to import.

FCP7: Log & Transfer will not recognize a new folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.