Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP X 10.2.1

Hi,

I am just returning to using FCP after not using it since FCP 7 or below. I'm working in FCP X 10.2.1 trial version. I love it and plan to buy it.

I think I created a double master clip which is huge! I moved the clip to the trash from the FILE menu. The media is still appearing in my project in the timeline and not appearing in the trash.

My hard drive (iMac 10.10.X Yosemite) has only 2.5 gigs left.

Where did this video go and how can I clear it from my hard drive?

Thanks,

Kathy

G4 laptop, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 7:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 7:18 PM

It depends on where the media is. If the media is inside the library, and not duplicated anywhere else on the same hard drive, it's stored in the library trash while the application is open. It's still theoretically in the undo queue. After you quit the application the file will be dumped. It never goes into the system trash. However, if the file is outside the library, or is also in another location on the same drive, the file is not deleted from the drive until you move it and all copies to the system trash and empty the trash.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 26, 2015 7:18 PM in response to kathfilms

It depends on where the media is. If the media is inside the library, and not duplicated anywhere else on the same hard drive, it's stored in the library trash while the application is open. It's still theoretically in the undo queue. After you quit the application the file will be dumped. It never goes into the system trash. However, if the file is outside the library, or is also in another location on the same drive, the file is not deleted from the drive until you move it and all copies to the system trash and empty the trash.

Aug 26, 2015 7:33 PM in response to kathfilms

If you use the move to trash function in FCP, when you delete the last instance of the media from the application, you'll get a warning that the media's going to be deleted. When you quit the application the media will be dumped. Again, this assumes that you're using managed media, and that it's not in any other location. The size of the library can be very misleading because of Apple's use of hard links. Was the media location set to import into the library when it was imported and was it imported from a camera?

Let me try to explain. If you have a 290G folder of media, and you import it all into the library as managed media, the Finder will display the folder as 290G and the library as 290G, even if you only have a 500G drive. The media appears to be duplicated, but it's only in one place on the drive and appears in two places as separate items because of the use of hard links.

If you down to 2.5G on the drive though you have a real problem, and you really do need to dump or move stuff.

FCP X 10.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.