Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

duplicate files?

I teach middle school kids the Pages application and have them create various projects. A new thing that I am noticing is students that manage to open a duplicate of their file. The odd thing is that another Pages Icon will show up on the dock. I've had students with 4 different pages icons on the dock. The only thing I know to do is quit them individually.

These students do not speak English and I haven't been able to figure out how they are doing this. Is there some way to inadvertently open a duplicate file that inserts a new icon in the dock?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 9:39 PM

2 replies

Aug 26, 2015 10:37 PM in response to Bruce Bridges

What version(s) of Pages are you using?

If you have been upgrading older Systems it is possible that you have multiple versions of Pages, usually Pages '09 and Pages 5.5.3.

Pages 5.5.3 can open Pages '09 documents, converting/changing them and then you will have both the Pages '09 icon, a blue ink bottle, and the Pages 5.5.3 icon, an orange document, open on the Dock.

You can see what Apps are open by flicking through them with command tab.

Peter

Aug 27, 2015 5:56 AM in response to Bruce Bridges

In OS X, the Dock preferences allow you to minimize document icons into the single application icon, or if that is unchecked, pressing the yellow traffic light in the document title bar will collapse the document as a separate icon in the Dock adjacent to the Trash can. Each time that a student selects Duplicate from the Pages File menu, or opens another Pages document, and presses that yellow traffic light, the number of document icons multiply in the Dock. That is your issue.

Dock Preferences:

User uploaded file

Once you have checked the above, a right-click of the Pages application icon will show all open documents in their own segment. For the image below, I have an open document named foobar.pages. I have duplicated it twice. The blue box is my annotation of the screen capture.

User uploaded file

duplicate files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.