Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

call from Microsoft/apple notice I have a technical issue

Received a call from Microsoft Technical department as they have noticed that I have an issue with my apple computer.

Rang to report to apple but was assured that although it is worrying it is also not unusual

As a mature user I do have to accept that computer use/hacking is prevalent but I am really concerned at the numbers of calls I rec from these bogus companies who appear to have so much information

Should I be thinking about installing a anti virus programme

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 1:18 AM

12 replies

Aug 27, 2015 1:33 AM in response to Bb162

These scams cannot be stopped with an antivirus app.

You just don't answer them.

When such scams come on your screen, don't react, quit (from the menu) Safari, restart while holding the Shift key.

Note: you do not need any antivirus app on your mac, it will at the least be counterproductive to the built-in safety of OSX. Some AV apps are downright crippling, like Symantec/Norton and MacAfee. But others will consume resources and create issues, without doing anything useful.

Aug 27, 2015 9:36 AM in response to Lexiepex

Personally I just tell them they are a liar. Then when they get funny about it I ask them what religion they are and when they ask why do I want to know what religion they are I tell them its because lying is a sin in pretty much every religion and so they they are a sinner and a liar.

usually they have hung up by then but if they haven't I leave them ranting on hold for a while to stop them scamming someone who might be gullible!

Harsh but hey if enough of us do it they might just get the message!!

Aug 27, 2015 2:53 PM in response to Donald Collier1

Donald Collier1 wrote:

Personally I just tell them they are a liar. Then when they get funny about it I ask them what religion they are and when they ask why do I want to know what religion they are I tell them its because lying is a sin in pretty much every religion and so they they are a sinner and a liar.

Ooo.... I haven't tried that. I usually ask them how many people fall for the scams and how they feel about that. Sometimes i tell them I'm running Unix. Or DOS. Next, I plan on telling them I have no computer and am rabidly anti-technology. I'd tell them I'm Amish but I suspect they don't have Amish people in their country and might not be familiar with the religion.

Aug 28, 2015 6:43 AM in response to John Galt

John Galt wrote:

Meg St._Clair wrote:

I'd tell them I'm Amish ...

... but they don't have phones.

Actually, some of them do. They usually keep them in a shed a distance from the house. That way, they are only used in emergencies. The Amish aren't anti-technology across the board. They just think really long and hard before adopting something. Only when the bishops have determined that it fits in with their mission is it accepted. I've often thought that's something I could learn from. Until the next shiny gadget comes along..... 😉

call from Microsoft/apple notice I have a technical issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.