Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formatting new Hard drive for mac & windows

Hello

I have recently bought a Transcend StoreJet 25H3 USB 3.0. On the box it says;

• Formatted NTFS for windows 7, Windows 8
  • Requires reformatting Mac OS X
  • Latest windows service packs recommended; Mac OS X 10.7 or later.

Storgae Media 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Disk Drive

Connection Interface USB 3.0

Power Supply 5V DC from USB port.

I have the a

• OS X Yosemite (10.10.3),
  • Processor3,4 GHz Intel Core i5,
  • Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3,
  • Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB.
  • Processor Speed: 3,4 GHz

I need to know how* to format it on a mac for both windows and mac compatible devices as well as know what the formatting will do in regards to file size restriction etc. I have already tried to format this hard drive and eventually had to return it as it did not work on mac or windows.

I have already tried to format this hard drive and eventually had to return it as it did not work on mac or windows. After I formatted the Hard drive last time to MS-DOS (FAT32).

When I attempted to transfer any file to the hard drive the following came up; "The operation can’t be completed because the item ‘***’ is in use." I also struggled to eject the hard drive, the message displayed was "The disk 'StoreJet 25H3' wasn't ejected because one or more programs may be using it."

I have since then had the device replaced to try again!

Any helpful suggestions!?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), null

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 11:18 PM

5 replies

Aug 27, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Silence136

Did you install any software from the drive vendor? Generally you do NOT need any 3rd party software to access a USB disk.

exFAT would be a better format for the drive when sharing between Mac and Windows, as it will support much larger files. FAT32 is limited to 4GB sized files.

If you are still having trouble with the drive, consider a different external disk vendor.

Aug 27, 2015 6:45 AM in response to Csound1

Model Name: Mac mini

Model Identifier: Macmini4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MM41.0042.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.65f2

Serial Number (system): C07CXKXNDD6H

Hardware UUID: 654805CF-A776-5275-8F70-9359D5F8AA85

System Version: OS X 10.10.5 (14F27)

Kernel Version: Darwin 14.5.0

Boot Volume: MacMini HD

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: Antonio’s Mac mini

User Name: Antonio S Eiras (antonioseiras)

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

Time since boot: 4:29

Aug 27, 2015 7:31 AM in response to Csound1

NTFS and HFS add another layer of safety (Journaling), ExFat also does not implement that.

Journaling is not a safety feature. It is a please do not make me run fsck (chkdsk) against this 6TB file systems will millions and millions of files. It will take me days 🙂

Journaling just tries to make sure metadata changes are either completed, or rolled back to before a change was started. Metadata being everything on the disk that is not user data.

And while journaling may keep the metadata sane, it is no excuse for not backing up important data, as there are far more things that can go wrong that journaling will not protect you from (speaking as a file system developer that has seen his share of things going wrong both personally and professionally).

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP!

Formatting new Hard drive for mac & windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.