Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP not starting after HDD update and Data restore

I went through a lot of posts and tried a few things, but I didn't find a case exactly as mine, so here is my conundrum.

My 2011 MBP wouldn't start as the HDD had died. I replaced it with a Samsung 850 Pro. Reinstalled OSX with the original installation disk (Snow Leopard).

All went well!

Then I restored my Time Machine backup data using Migration Assistant. It took a couple of hours but finished with success.

This is when the trouble started.

After restarting the MBP, it got stuck at the Apple icon with the wheel icon turning continuously.

It wouldn't boot in safe mode either.

In verbose mode it shows this error constantly "decmpfs.c:232:_decmp_get_func: tried to access a compressed file of unregistered type 8" sometimes, it says "... type 7" instead. I tried to search everywhere but couldn't find how to move past this step.

So here are my questions:

1. What the heck is going on? (ok, thats too generic)

2. Is the Time Machine backup data causing the havoc? The backup was last done with Yosemite 10.10.4. Do I need to upgrade the laptop to Yosemite before I can restore the data?

3. Do I need to erase the new HD and start from scratch? :-( What should I do differently this time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), New HD, Time Machine restore

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 11:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:20 AM

2) I think you should upgrade to Yosemite before restore the data.

3) Yes, you'd better off start from the scratch.

3 replies

Aug 27, 2015 3:45 AM in response to nileblitz

When you installed Snow Leopard, did you start up the MBP to see if it would boot before restoring with Time Machine?

Can you take out the SSD and connect it externally via USB and boot the MBP using startup manager?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204417

There have been some success stories and some problem cases with Samsung SSDs posted on these forums. Have you checked if any firmware updates may be needed?

Ciao.

MBP not starting after HDD update and Data restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.