Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which MacBook is best for computer programming?

I want to get a Mac laptop for my boyfriend as a Christmas for his senior year of college. He is a Computer Science major, and he is constantly complaining about the poor quality of his PC. He also can't develop Apple applications on a non-Apple computer, so that is a plus.

I love my Macbook pro with Retina, but I don't know anything about processor and storage space! He downloads programs to run his coding and programming, and will also likely download video games (I know, I know).

Please recommend a Mac laptop that will best suit him! Thank you in advance for your help!

Posted on Aug 26, 2015 11:21 PM

5 replies

Aug 27, 2015 12:57 AM in response to lacebuggie

Any of the MacBook Pros will be fine.

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-retina/

They all come with a minimum of 8 GB of RAM. Since RAM is not upgradable you have to purchase what you will need in the future. I would go for 16 GB

The i7 models are more expensive and more capable than the i5 odels.. The 15 inch are are all i7 and have better graphics processors which is better for games.

He will have to select how mun on-board storage he wants. I consider that the base-line i5 with obnly 128 GB is not enough. In any even an external HD wil be needed for backing up data.

This is the Mac Pro desktop forum. I requested your post be moved to the MacBook Pro laptop forum.

Aug 27, 2015 2:02 PM in response to lacebuggie

Since he is a Computer Science major he likely has very specific requirements for his next computer. Given the price of a computer I recommend not basing your choice on recommendations posted here, although I'm sure most will be very good recommendations. I suggest you discuss this major purchase with your boyfriend. Maybe give him a personalized gift card for a shopping date with you. Let him pick out the computer that best meets his needs.

Aug 28, 2015 8:14 AM in response to nicolasleFada

nicolasleFada wrote:

Why not follow here blogger's opinion??

Sorry but i don't get!

There is nothing wrong with getting opinions here. Most are very good opinions.

My point is that he is a computer science major and as such is very knowledgeable with respect to computers and no doubt has very specific views on what a good computer is and what specifications it should have.

If you were a car mechanic I'm sure you would have very specific ideas on what cars perform best and what you would want in a car. Your girlfriend could take a chance and go buy you a car based on others recommendations, or she could ensure you got the car you really want by taking you car shopping.

Which MacBook is best for computer programming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.