Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook drains to 0%, then hibernates

I had at some point upgraded my macbook pro from an HDD to an SSD and messed around with the pmset configurations based on one article or another about SSDs in macbooks. I can't remember what I've changed exactly but I've noticed that my macbook drains until 0% battery life and then hibernates (i.e. writes current desktop information to SSD). I don't think my macbook ever goes to sleep despite the fact that on battery, the computer should sleep in 10 minutes per my settings on energy saver. Of note, I can't remember if this started happening after I changed my pmset settings or after installing Boom 2 - I have read that Boom can prevent the macbook from falling asleep but I have since turned off (not uninstalled) Boom and still experience the same problem.

Here are my pmset settings.

Active Profiles:

Battery Power -1

AC Power -1*

Currently in use:

standbydelay 4200

standby 1

womp 1

halfdim 1

hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage

sms 0

networkoversleep 0

disksleep 0

sleep 10 (sleep prevented by AddressBookSour)

autopoweroffdelay 14400

hibernatemode 3

autopoweroff 1

ttyskeepawake 1

displaysleep 10

acwake 0

lidwake 1

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 6:03 AM

6 replies

Aug 27, 2015 9:34 AM in response to LeoBloom

Test after each of the following steps that you haven’t already tried:

Step 1

Take all the applicable steps suggested in this support article. That's the starting point for any further effort to solve the problem. Skipping any of those steps may mean that the problem won't be solved.

Note that, as stated in the article, the computer will not sleep if some sharing services are enabled. From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Sharing

Turn off all sharing services.

Step 2

Select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Accessibility ▹ Speakable Items: Off

Step 3

Select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Bluetooth ▹ Advanced...

and uncheck both boxes marked

Open Bluetooth Setup Assistant at startup if...

Step 4

Reset the printing system.

Step 5

Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

/var/vm

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

A folder named "vm" should open. Inside it, there may be a file named "sleepimage". Move that file, and only that one, to the Trash, but don't empty yet. You'll be prompted for your password. Close the folder window.

Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

Macbook drains to 0%, then hibernates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.