Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 10.10.5 frozen on starting progress bar

For 2 days, my MacBook Pro 15" (early 2006) running the latest update (10.10.5) is stuck at the restart phase: grey screen with the apple and progress bar never goes beyond 30% and stays there forever.

I do hear the chimes before the progress bar page.

Sometimes, after a while, I get a grey empty screen and that's it.

I've tried the following (after turning it off)

starting:

- with (left) Shift+ Ctrl + power button to to reset SMC ( I get the stuck progress bar)

- with Shift + Ctrl + Option + power button (nothing happened)

- with Shift + power button (stuck progress bar)

- with Cmd + R + power button ( stuck progress bar)

not sure if related: Originally, the MacBook was hooked up to an apple Cinema Display and I used the display's power plug on the laptop but i noticed when this happened that the power plug color had switched to RED so I unplug all the cables coming from the display and all external drives as well.

Now the power plug is orange, but I can see the MacBook is fully charged, and it turns to GREEN only while I'm pressing the power button.

Once I release the power button, it goes back to ORANGE.

Please help!

thank you

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 2:50 AM

12 replies

Aug 27, 2015 3:03 AM in response to g5love

I have more or less the same issue, but MacBook Pro is in a restart loop.

MacBook Pro from 2011, running latest Yosimite version.

I was able to run Apple dianogtics (Option+D just after start up): error code -501 0D

just before this happend iMovie was acting very strange: messed up display, stripes, not responding to key or mouse entrees.

And baterry was very hot.

Aug 27, 2015 6:25 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

THANK YOU SO MUCH OGELTHORPE!

I tried the first step (resetting the SMC) although I thought I had already tried it. Turns out I had not followed the instructions correctly. (was keeping all the keys pressed forever).

MacBook Pro up and running and I'm very very thankful to you and all the other who commented on this post!!

Sep 1, 2015 3:29 AM in response to g5love

Sorry to report the problem keeps happening (3 times since last week). somehow the past 2, I was able to get it started by resetting the SMC or just waiting several hours and then it finally passed the progress bar page. But since yesterday it is frozen again And resting SMC doesn't change anything.

I also got the dark green page with lines in the recent weeks that has been mentioned by dsdsntv, specially when using a Cinema Display hooked up to the MacBook Pro. So I guess I'll follow your advice Olgerthorpe and get in touch with Apple. Will let you know what happens!

MacBook Pro 10.10.5 frozen on starting progress bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.