Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I run iMovie 10 and iMovie '11 at the same time?

I have a MacBook Pro (see info in screen shot below) on which I'm currently running iMovie 10. When I upgraded to Yosemite I also upgraded iMovie, but I really prefer the older version, iMovie '11. I have the iLife 11 installation disk and would like to reinstall that version of iMovie so I can use it for the movies I'd created in that version. I know I can update my previous projects to iMovie 10, but I'd like to keep them separate, if possible. I haven't tried to install the older version yet as I wanted to know if I'm going to experience issues trying to run both on one computer. I'd appreciate some advise. Thank you so much.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 2:12 PM

After upgrading to Yosemite you should find iMovie 9 (='11) in a folder within the applications folder and it should still work with the events and projects in your iMovie Events and iMovie Projects folders (though a few people have reported problems).

You won't see any changes you may have made using iMovie 10 since this version will have created a completely separate library containing your updated imovie 9 projects plus any changes made using iMovie 10.

So yes, you can both versions but edits in one won't be visible in the other.

Note: the 2 versions share the same copies of your original media using hard links so having the 2 versions does not waste much storage space

Geoff.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2015 2:12 PM in response to MamawT

After upgrading to Yosemite you should find iMovie 9 (='11) in a folder within the applications folder and it should still work with the events and projects in your iMovie Events and iMovie Projects folders (though a few people have reported problems).

You won't see any changes you may have made using iMovie 10 since this version will have created a completely separate library containing your updated imovie 9 projects plus any changes made using iMovie 10.

So yes, you can both versions but edits in one won't be visible in the other.

Note: the 2 versions share the same copies of your original media using hard links so having the 2 versions does not waste much storage space

Geoff.

Aug 27, 2015 3:28 PM in response to GeeD

Thank you Geoff. The previous version of iMovie in my Applications folder will not start at all, that's why I decided to purchase iLife 11 to reinstall the older version. I have not imported any of my older projects or events into version 10 as I knew I'd then lose the ability to edit them in the older version. Now that you've been so kind to assure me I can run both versions on my MacBook, I'll be installing version '11 this weekend. Again, thank you so much, Geoff!

Mamaw

Aug 28, 2015 9:22 AM in response to GeeD

Am I correct in assuming I'll then be able to edit the movies in the original app as well as in versio 10? But if I save changes made to a project in version 10, I will no longer be able to edit that project in the previous version?

I think I may have the idea...I'll have two versions of the same project, independent from one another, but with different names? I know, I'm thick sometimes!

Thanks again, Geoff.

LInda

Can I run iMovie 10 and iMovie '11 at the same time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.