Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keychain lost an item

Opened the keychain tool and found the web page credentials for ther one I was looking for (entered many months ago).

Tried to open its contents but the message was that "special privileges are needed", however there was no place to enter any.

When I opened keychain next time the whole entry was gone! Running repair indicated no errors.

(Did select all possible types on entries naturally).

Have a full history and backups in Time Machine and elsewhere so I can look for a backup (did not do it yet).

iCloud NOT used for keychain. Any ideas?

Petri

(10.9.5)

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 3:20 AM

4 replies

Aug 27, 2015 8:51 AM in response to nyberpe1

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select LibraryKeychains. Enter Time Machine and restore.

Aug 28, 2015 1:37 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks. That was a way to restore the entry allright but the underlying cause is still unclear to me.

One correction: the entry is/was of type "internet password"User uploaded file

But whenever I open this MacUpdate Desktop (but did not finalize the login session but cancelled ) the entry is gone after that. (Did this testing twice).

So is it so simple that any software has the ability to delete entries by itself? Any entry? The ones linked to them only?

Petri

keychain lost an item

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.