Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a backup from an ipod be used to set up an ipad?

I am considering a purchase of an ipad for my child. He has an Ipod that has a bunch of game apps and other types of data. I was wondering if I could restore the Ipod backup when setting up the new Ipad.

iPad 2

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 6:50 AM

Assuming that it is an iPod Touch, yes you can.

Transfer content from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device - Apple Support

IF you are running iOS 8.4.1 on the Touch and the iPad is only running iOS 8, you will have to update the iPad before you can use the backup. You cannot restore a newer iOS backup to an older iOS device.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2015 6:50 AM in response to benson.andy13

Assuming that it is an iPod Touch, yes you can.

Transfer content from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new device - Apple Support

IF you are running iOS 8.4.1 on the Touch and the iPad is only running iOS 8, you will have to update the iPad before you can use the backup. You cannot restore a newer iOS backup to an older iOS device.

Aug 27, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Demo

Thanks Demo. I appreciate your response.

I guess the big concern was app data from games transferring over from the ipod. I believe it's a touch (ipod 4th generation). That version hasn't received any IOS updates beyond 6 due to it's age, so I believe the IOS question should be okay.

I was reading in the link that some apps aren't compatible between different devices such as ipad vs iphone. Anyway (other than going to itunes and looking at individual app descriptions) to know which apps are cross-compatible?

Thanks again.

Aug 27, 2015 8:45 AM in response to benson.andy13

Virtually every app that is on the iPod Touch should work on the iPad. What may occur is that if the apps on the Touch are "iPod or iPhone" apps, they will appear in half size on the iPad. They can be enlarged to full screen by tapping on 2X that you will see at the bottom of the app when it launches.

Apps that are compatible with all devices are listed as such in the app description in the App Store. The iPhone - being phone - does have some apps that will not work on an iPad or and iPod Touch - because the iPad and iPod Touch do not have those capabilities.

Aug 27, 2015 9:45 AM in response to benson.andy13

Yes I have. It's been a while, but I set up my original iPad (the first model) back in 2010 from the backup of my iPod Touch 4th generation. I set up my iPhone 5S from the backup of my iPad 3 and I set up my iPod Touch 5th generation from the backup of the iPad 3 as well. All went without issue.

In any event, yes I have done it before. I think that you will be fine. Just back up the touch and I think you already know how to do that - and when you get to the point in the iPad activation where it asks if you want to set up as new or from an iCloud or iTunes backup, choose the appropriate one and you will be good to go.

Aug 27, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Demo

I seem to remember that my iPad 2 was initially set up from the backup of my 4th gen touch - then customized to upgrade the apps that had better iPad versions (there weren't as many universal apps 4 years ago that there are now)

To echo Demo, it works just fine. Going by my experience you're likely to find a few of your touch apps that are better replaced by their iPad versions, but overall it's an easy process.

Can a backup from an ipod be used to set up an ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.