Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old computer motherboard fried, had my hard drive backed up and now I want to transfer from external hd to my new desktop with windows 10. Should I go ahead and move the itunes media folder onto the new computer then download itunes to the new comput

Old computer motherboard fried. Took to local BB and they backed up the hd. Bought a new desktop with Windows 10.

Should I go ahead and drag the iTunes media file to the new desktop then download iTunes? Or download iTunes then copy from the external harddrive?

Thanks in advance.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Simple instructions are best.

iPod classic, Windows 8, ext hd is passport ultra

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 5:52 AM

8 replies

Aug 28, 2015 8:06 AM in response to marknga

Howdy ,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you need to move your iTunes library from an external hard drive backup of your previous PC to your new one. The link below has a list of steps for you to go through in order to get iTunes and your library all set up on your new computer.

Take care.

Aug 28, 2015 9:01 AM in response to marknga

It would be better to restore the iTunes library folder into your user's Music folder, rather than the desktop, and before installing iTunes, otherwise you would have to restore over an existing temporary library and deal with merging folders unnecessarily. See Make a split library portable for some general background if there is anything non-standard about the layout of your library, or if you would prefer to run it from the external drive.

tt2

Aug 29, 2015 6:56 AM in response to chuck_3rd

sorry but I don't see a link.

Here is what I did Thursday. I downloaded itunes to my desk top. Located my itunes folder there and deleted the media folder. Then I went to my external HD and copied the itunes media folder into the new computer.

Opened itunes and wow everything is there... my play list, my 5000 + songs... GREAT.

except when I hooked up my Nano 16G to sync it will only sync 39 songs.

Question do I need to copy the other "itune folders" from the HD into the my new computer.

I feel like I am making this way harder than it should be.

But until I find an answer I am not connecting my Ipod classic to the new computer. It has my complete old iTunes library on it.

Thanks for the answers.

Mark

Aug 29, 2015 7:07 AM in response to marknga

What you should have done is replace the new iTunes folder with the old iTunes folder, rather than just replacing the iTunes Media folder. Did you have to add media to the library? If so then you got it wrong somewhere and you've made a new library with the old content. This will be seen as a different library for your devices which is probably why syncing didn't behave as expected.

tt2

Aug 29, 2015 8:45 AM in response to marknga

See Make a split library portable for background on the structure of the iTunes library. There are usually 5 files (one of which is hidden) and an Album Artwork folder located in the iTunes folder, along with the iTunes Media folder. You can probably get away with deleting those 5 files and the Album Artwork folder, then copying in the equivalent files and folder from your old system, leaving iTunes Media untouched.

tt2

Old computer motherboard fried, had my hard drive backed up and now I want to transfer from external hd to my new desktop with windows 10. Should I go ahead and move the itunes media folder onto the new computer then download itunes to the new comput

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.