Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I purchased an iTunes gift card can i use the credit for upgrading icloud storage space?

I purchased an iTunes gift card can i use the credit for upgrading icloud storage space?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 8:48 AM

Yes.

(132435)

6 replies

Nov 8, 2016 9:53 AM in response to guidofromheerlen

I find it interesting that while Apple is saying that iCloud storage plans CAN BE purchased with iTunes gift cards, to date I've been unsuccessful in finding any official Apple documentation confirming same. Apple claims that once the card(s) has/have been redeemed they will use the iTunes credits first and THEN continue charging for the ongoing iCloud charges ONCE the iTunes balance reaches zero. However certain folk's experiences don't seem to be reflecting this in practice. A simple concept in theory but it doesn't seem to be occurring in practice. Also, I seem to easily find official Apple documentation that indicates that iTunes gift cards can be redeemed to pay for purchases for apps, books,music, TV programs and more but nothing clearly identifying iCloud storage.

Here is an excerpt from an Apple marketing splash I found using GOOGLE.

iTunes Gift Cards

Give the gift of iTunes.

Give them apps, books, music, TV programmes and more with an iTunes Gift Card. Available in a variety of designs and denominations, the card can be used for anything on the App Store, iTunes Store, iBooks Store or Mac App Store.

SO what is and more? Notice there is no mention of iCloud storage plans.

I've read a lot about folks redeeming their iTunes gift cards only to have the iCloud charges added to their credit card that's on file with their Apple account. Also some have received emails from Apple indicating that their iCloud storage (account) has been frozen until they pay the amount due for the month. Yet they claim they have a credit balance available on their iTunes account.

So, I have gone into my Apple account and removed the credit card number from my file. Next I will go into iTunes and redeem an iTunes gift card and leave the credit balance on file. Then next month hopefully Apple will debit my iTunes account and not send me an email saying that my iCloud storage/account has been suspended until I provide a credit card number to pay the amount owing. Hopefully this strategy will be successful.

Please note that my Apple account and my iTunes account use identical username (email) and password. This could be a nuance that other folks with past bad experience may not be doing and it could also be why Apple is failing to co-ordinate payment between the two accounts. If this is the case why doesn't Apple just come out and say so? Time will tell. I will update everyone next month on how things turn out for me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.