Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't send a message from Contacts - greyed out send button

The "Contacts" application allows the user to click on the word "mobile", next to a contact's mobile phone number, then select "Send Message".

When I do that a window appears, where I can type in a message (which I assume is the same thing as a 'text message', to send to that person's cell phone).

However, the "Send" button is greyed out and inactive. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, or how to activate the "Send" button.

Please help.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 7:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2015 11:10 AM

Howdy Sunshine22,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you're trying to send an SMS from your Mac that's running OS X Mavericks. In order to have this SMS forwarding capability, your Mac needs to be running OS X Yosemite, and you need an iOS device with iOS 8.1 or higher. To learn more about this feature and what is required please take a look at the link below.

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.

1. Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  2. On your iPhone: Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address. Then, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  3. Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

Use Continuity to connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple Support

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 28, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Sunshine22

Howdy Sunshine22,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see from your post that you're trying to send an SMS from your Mac that's running OS X Mavericks. In order to have this SMS forwarding capability, your Mac needs to be running OS X Yosemite, and you need an iOS device with iOS 8.1 or higher. To learn more about this feature and what is required please take a look at the link below.

To use Continuity for SMS and MMS with your iPhone and your Mac, iPad or iPod touch

Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.

1. Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  2. On your iPhone: Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address. Then, go to Settings > Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  3. Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

Use Continuity to connect your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac - Apple Support

Take care.

Can't send a message from Contacts - greyed out send button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.