Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

networking reinstall?

I have two laptops. One connects very quickly to the internet but the other can take a very very long time to connect. To be clear the download speeds are the same via netspeed.com. However one machine often cycles and cycles to establish a connection, as if the DNS lookup were very slow. Sometimes the browser never does return. The problems seems to happen in all 3 browsers, chrome, firefox, and safari on the slow machine. It started when I was trying to do some fancy configurations of my airport express.

It probably isn't be the wireless because the other laptop is speedy. I've done all the simple tests. Restart the machine. Restart the router.

Is there a way I can reset the networking state to a fresh install? Any way I can get error messages to see where the failure is happening? The problem is intermittent making it every more frustrating to diagnose.

Slow Machine

--------------------

OX X Yosemite 10.10.4

Mavbook Pro Mid 2012

Posted on Aug 27, 2015 7:59 AM

5 replies

Aug 27, 2015 9:29 AM in response to mpcmpc

Start up in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, restart as usual and post the results.

Aug 27, 2015 3:28 PM in response to Linc Davis

Smart test. I ran the browser in repair mode and it did seem to run much faster. Considering that the issue is in all three browsers that indicates a problem that is more universal.

I also took the opportunity to check the hard drive in repair mode. It found an error and recommended a reformat and reinstall.

I have a time machine backup from today. I'm assuming that I should enter repair mode, reformat the disk with a clean install, and them run time machine to refresh today's state. It's probably not the solution to this problem, but who knows.

If I opt for a clean instal will that reformat the drive? Or do I need to go back to disks? Ugg.

Thanks for the information.

MC

Aug 27, 2015 3:40 PM in response to mpcmpc

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Aug 28, 2015 9:19 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

I re-ran the drive utility to get the exact error code and the drive checked out this time. So there is no drive issue anymore.

Do you recommend that I reinstall chrome? I worry that won't help considering that the problem is across browsers.

What test should I try next considering that the repair-mode safari seemed fast?

thanks,

mc

networking reinstall?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.